Wedding with EA 50u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old June 30th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Wedding with EA 50u

I shot a big wedding with the EA 50uh this past weekend I used my new 17-50 with and without my speed booster. At the brides house I got some beautiful shots the camera really looked "filmy" and it is brighter than my AG-HMC 150s I wish there was a way to program limitations on the digital zoom because with my speed booster and my 17-50 I get a vinette if I am zoomed all the way out. At 1.3 on the digital zoom its gone at 1.2 its there but theres a nice softness around the edge at 1.1 its there but I am almost inclined to use it as a effect. One thing I realized is I cant use the EA 50u as a one size fits all camera, its great for pre wedding up and most of the ceremony but I need to switch to my 150s when it comes to bridal procession and ressesion . And some parts of the reception.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wedding with EA 50u

Hi Randy

None of my lenses vignette at all and I have from 10-24mm up to 18-200 in manual lenses. What 17-50 mount is that and what adapter are you using?? A lens designed for APSC cameras might vignette on a Speed Booster as it is supposed to work only with FF lenses. Does it still vignette on a dumb adapter ??

Something doesn't sound right there! The only time I ever had "vignetting" was when I accidentially didn't clip a lens hood on correctly and it had turned a quarter turn so the petal was getting in the way.

I only use the stock lens for brides walking down long aisles in Churches ... you can quite easily use a manual lens down the aisle if you are running two cameras. Just zone focus and keep the walks within those parameters.

Let us know what adapters you were using Randy that caused vignetting cos I cannot get mine to do that!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Only with the speed booster, For some reason the 17-50 is not compatible with the speed booster. No big deal like I said as long as I use the digital zoom a little it fixes it. plus it does create a effect that I may use sometimes. If I could use the stock lens for precession and resession I would but that has a tendency to be the darkest part of the day. I just switch cameras for that part, it requires a bit of planning but I can make it wotk
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Trustee

When I get a second I will post some of the speed booster shots on utube to show the different levels of vignette
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Randy

Now, if you get yourself a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 or the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and look for ones that have an aperture ring on them they are definitely FF lenses and they won't vignette on the speed booster and your focal length reverts also to 24 or 28 mm so that would be an ideal solution. Normally I find that F2.8 is plenty enough for Churches so it might be worth getting an el-cheapo dumb adapter for your camera so you can use the 17-50 without any vignetting ...both my Novoflex and Fotodiox adapters work fine with the Nikon 17-50 but the cheap one needed a bit of sanding/polishing before it would fit.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Trustee

If I explain this right: I did a test and the I dont think its a FF issue because I have 4 other old lenses and only one is a FF lens and the 17-50 is the only one that vignettes but anyway IF I use my Speed booster and use the digital zoom to compensate for the vignetting its still a little wider than the 17-50 with a "dumb" adapter and no vignetting. Sometimes I do like the vignetting.
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

That is strange ..most old lenses would be 35mm format which is full frame as compared to them APS-C crop sensor lenses are fairly new ... All film lenses AFAIK are designed for the film format size of image which is 36mm x 24mm not the smaller sensor on crop digital cameras. The 17-50 F2.8 however is designed for APSC cameras ..You can identify them easily if they are Nikon mount by the Dx or Dii names on the lens. I know my Nikons are all APSC except the 28-75 F2.8 which is a FF lens ...Most Nikon APSC lenses also have no aperture ring on the lens which is a giveaway too!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)