Buffer overrun error - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Buffer overrun error

Randy, You check you firmware version in menu / others / version display

The upgrade to version 2 should not affect the operation of the FMU, it should work with both versions.

However, of the very few things V2 upgraded, use of the FMU was one of them. With V2 it gives you the option of separating your two record buttons so one records to SD and the other records to the FMU.

Steve
Old August 2nd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Trustee

I am still version one. I shot a job today it was just a "basic" short day but no issues:)
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Good news Randy!

For interest did you decide to shoot on Profile PP2 or not??? I just wondered what it looked like?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:28 AM   #19
Trustee

I gave up on that for now so I turned off the profile mode.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks Randy

My last wedding was with no profile and I really struggled with the black level ..it's way too low and when you lift it enough to bring back some detail the iamge loses tons of contrast so I'm back to my modified PP3 profile ... At least that lifts the shadow detail and by upping the saturation a tiny bit the colours pop nicely without the misty look!

Chris
Old August 30th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #21
Trustee

Problem NOT SOLVED I did a wedding tonight and had it happen 5 times! It almost made me miss something important. It happened in the beginning of the day so I said screw it and pulled the card and ran just with the FMU and crossed my fingers. Well it did it like 4 time after that SO it must either be my camera or the firmware, I will update the firmware and try again.
Old August 30th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

It still could be the FMU of course. The camera writes to the card with no issues but a buffer overflow normally indicates that the drive cannot write the data fast enough not the camera .. the camera streams data to a buffer memory in the camera and that's acts like a "storage tank" to allow the drive to pull the data and write it and if it's a little slow the buffer chip keeps the data until the drive is ready for more.

The fact that the buffer doesn't overflow when you write to a card would seem that the buffer and card are keeping up UNLESS the FMU electronics have their own buffer and that chip is faulty??? The FMU is a solid state drive right? If so it's write speed should be way faster than a card anyway so maybe the FMU is just not writing fast enough .... once your season is over if you do send in the camera, make sure you send in the FMU as well so they can check it correctly.

Chris
Old July 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #23
Tourist

Any updates on this problem? I have had overflow problems on both SD and FMU, both times recording simultaneously. Luckily the other keeps recording when one fails.

The first time was about 4 hours into shooting and the SDHD (32GB) card failed.

Last night after about 6 hours of shooting the FMU was the problem. I took it off and the camera worked fine for the rest of the shoot. I put it back on this morning without reformatting it and it recorded fine.

Anyone having issues after long day? Perhaps camera is overheating?

I'm running a "Media Empty" on all my cards and drive now so hopefully that repairs any possible sector damage.
Dan Germano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)