Sony Lens - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Sony Lens

It's called Laziness Gabe!!

The correct way (as you say) is to set shutter and aperture manually so you have full control. Being a DSLR at heart the EA-50 does allow you to run in auto with a manual lens and it will adjust shutter and gain for you ... as it's a manual lens it cannot control iris so that's up to the operator.

It's a useful mode at weddings where things are going on in a blink of an eye and are non-repeatable ...In an interview it's simple to say .."Let's do that again" but at weddings it simply doesn't happen!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:55 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Pete

Hopefully it's to a nice warm location?? When you get back we are also off on a week's break to the Cocos Keeling Islands in the middle of nowhere! Just crystal clear water, coconut palms and two waterproof action cams to do some underwater footage. Not even cell/mobile connections are available so I will get a total break from the madhouse we had in November!

Chris
Canary Islands for a week of winter sun Chris - poured down and was cloudy all week :( was still nice to get away from it all though!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Awesome Pete

Tomorrow is my last day in Perth then off to the Cocos Keeling Islands also for a week. The temp (air and water) hovers around the 28 degree mark, Just what I need!! It doesn't rain under the water anyway!!!

BTW: I actually discovered that you CAN change the EV whilst filming as long as the value in the LCD is high lighted in white .... I never bothered to discover this and wow,,it's really useful for high contrast and backlit situations. Works like a dream. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #34
Inner Circle

I use that method a lot Chris it works well for me and I used to do it with my old Z1

Pete
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #35
Inner Circle

The reason I often ride the AE is because you cannot easily adjust the gain on the fly but are limited to 3 settings - all to often when I am fully manual I want the gain to be a setting other than the 3 presets (I usually have setting 1 to 0 gain) so I have to go into the menu and re-assign the presets - a very time consuming pain in the middle of a fast paced wedding! Much quicker to let the camera decide the correct exposure and then adjust the compensation.
Old December 11th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
It's called Laziness Gabe!!

The correct way (as you say) is to set shutter and aperture manually so you have full control. Being a DSLR at heart the EA-50 does allow you to run in auto with a manual lens and it will adjust shutter and gain for you ... as it's a manual lens it cannot control iris so that's up to the operator.

It's a useful mode at weddings where things are going on in a blink of an eye and are non-repeatable ...In an interview it's simple to say .."Let's do that again" but at weddings it simply doesn't happen!!

Chris
Yeah, I get it. I just wish they made the E-50 with built in nd so I would have another
way of controlling exposure other than just letting shutter speed crank way up.
O well, when you are doing fast moving stuff, you first just need the shot like you
said and that's the only option on the EA50. And honestly, I bet your brides don't
even notice the stuttery shutter. It's just one of my pet peeves as I have worked with
some DSLR guys who are know calling themselves DP's and trying to break into
motion shooting. And they don't understand why you wouldn't want to crank your
shutter up to 1/100000000 of a second so you can shoot at F1.4.....because after all
that's what they do as a still photographer and they know much more than a lowly
video camera guy because they are real 'artists' and we just hit a red button.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)