EA50 Should Stabilizer Rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Major Player

EA50 Should Stabilizer Rig

Does any one here use a should rig with your EA50? If so, do you also use a NEX - EF Adapter that fastens to the rail of your rig? I have been looking for a inexpensive shoulder rig with rails for my EA50 where I can include Matter Box and counter weight... I have the NEX - EF adapter (Actually 2) on the way trying to see which shoulder stabilizers that works well without the expensive price tag.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA50 Should Stabilizer Rig

Hi Aaron

Think hard before you add a fancy rail with matte boxes ...the EA-50 is already very front heavy and I decided (unwisely) to get rails and matte boxes and that added so much weight to the camera front end it nearly killed me on my shoulder. So I decided to make a counterweight like Tom has so I added a neat 2kg to the back end of the camera and that didn't really balance out the matte boxes and just doubled the weight of the camera ...and killed me even more!!

The matte boxes and rails went on eBay and now to connect my support rod under the camera I have a DIY rail ...all it has is 2 x 1/2" aluminium tubes and at each end a piece of aluminium flat bar (one to connect the rod and the other to go under the camera and screw into the tripod thread) it weighs almost nothing, cost almost nothing and works perfectly

Seriously adding anything to the front end it bad news for your back and arms ... but a super light frame is no issue. Lens hoods work just as well as matte boxes too and don't weigh nearly 1 kg!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris, my current shoulder rig is a DIY and it cost me hardly anything.

I was hoping to be able to get one that would support the weight of a bigger tele lens. Thinking ahead out these adapters that are on the way. If the adapter does not fit with a perfect snug interlock then I'm thinking it will be too much weight on the E mount, especially when the fit is not perfect. So, in my mind, if I could get a rail rig that would ease my worry. Can you post images of your DIY Chris, or any of you for that matter...?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

You are talking about the EA-50 right??? Why would you want a shoulder mount rig on a camera that is already a shoulder mount?? The only rig as such that I need to use on the EA-50 is my support rod/waist belt which is what the simple frame is for under the camera body ... If you look at the post "Saved by the Rod" you can see the setup.

I bought CamTree rails and matte boxes last year but they were so heavy on the front end the cameras were just too out of balance to be practical.

I see yours has left and right grip handles ... I started with those on my Panasonic AC-130 rigs but found it much better using the support rod so both my hands were free.

Chris
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes Chris i am referring to the EA50. I built this one before I had the EA50, but it works good with it. I use this at receptions toward the end of the night to get some last minute footage of dancing and congrats for the couple. I will take a look at that thread...
Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

Seriously, I found that using a support rod is way better than having a rig under the camera as you can't really keep the rig stable with one hand and sometimes you do need a hand to do something even in full auto. Even with handles on both sides you are still relying on your arms to hold up the front heavy camera ...trying using your rig and holding it dead steady for 15 minutes without a wobble!! Your arms do get tired!! However with a waist belt and a sprung rod all the weight is spread out over your hips and legs and the camera becomes weightless at the front and you are still hands free.

I find it's a brilliant solution!!

Chris
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi
another very cheapo solution is the use of one of those cheap China DSLR Shoulder Mounts.
something like this: Schulterstütze für Canon Nikon Panasonic Kamera Video Camcorder Schulterstativ | eBay

I have a similiar one but i exchanged the complete part where you put the camera onto with a quick release plate from manfrotto. Carries the EA50 with battery and lens and led light without problems.
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The only issue I have with those Michael, is that they use a chest support rather than a waist support so if you have to run somewhere and you are puffing and panting the chest support pad will rise up and down as you breathe and cause camera movement. However it's a pretty cheap option. The only real issue with the EA-50 is the heavy front end and trying to hold it up. I weighed by Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lens the other day and sheesh, it's almost 1 kg!!! No wonder your arm can get tired with something like that on the camera body

Anyone else have/seen anything interesting that helps with camera weight ... The Camtree Flexirig looks interesting Flexible Camera Mount|DSLR Steady Stabilizer Rig|Camtree

They also have a backpack unit with a bar over your head that physically takes the weight off from above.

Flycam Flowline Camera Support|Steady Shots It's a bit bulky though and would be a little intrusive at weddings

Chris
Old September 9th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Your totally right Chris, these "rigs" are not ideal when you walk etc...
But last sunday i had to run around on a big "open doors" event and after
4 hours of shooting stage and all the different attractions for kids and families
i had to film another bunch of "statements" by guests.
So my cheap shoulder/chest rig safed my right arm from collapse
- after some practice i am almost able to film without hands...
Michael Spanheimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)