UWP-D11 or ECM-W1M - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: UWP-D11 or ECM-W1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Be careful with dual receivers! I use two receivers rather than a dual one simply because single receivers have diversity circuitry built in with twin antennas and I the dual one I bought was NOT diversity as the case is not big enough for 4 antennas!!

Non diversity receivers fail miserably on range so be careful with that ...On my main cam my receivers just sit behind each other !

Chris
Thanks Chris for the heads up. i had to go and read and check on it. Here is the feature listing description:

Features:
Dual Transmitter OperationThe 1800 series delivers dual transmitter operation with a single, compact camera mounted receiver.Dual Balanced Outputs - The receiver features dual balanced outputs that may be used to send signal independently or mixed.Frequency Agile/Auto Scanning - The 1800 series wireless systems feature up to 996 Auto-Scanning frequencies and simultaneous operation of up to 10 systems.True Diversity - Each receiver features true diversity operation for minimal drop out and radio frequency noise. Independent Receiver Shut Off - One of the dual internal receivers may be shut off in order to preserve battery life.

Hopefully I chose a good one.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Ok, I've just tested the ECM-W1M.

as far as I can work out, W1M does NOT work with the EA50. It does say on the box its for sony handycam and dslr/mirrorless that has the multi-interface shoe.

However, for my application it is perfect for on the go recording with my a7s. the transmitter has an inbuilt mic, but it also can take a microphone input.

As far I tested, the connection worked well within a 2 storey building, at a distance of about 15m.

If using the inbuilt mic, if the subject is moving (I had him walking while talking) it picks up way too much shirt movements that renders the talking pointless. Having a mic on attached would be necessary if its a walk and talk.

It will not work if the transmitter and receiver is too close to each other (manual says be apart at least 1m).

I'm happy for it to be an additional recording that isnt a good as my sennheiser/sony wireless mic packs but still good enough that if I need to pick up something from the a7s, I can still use audio from it.
David Wibowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks David

Nice to know ..I have a feeling that the shoe on the EA-50 only allows a Sony flash to be attached so you can use it for stills and a TTL flash ..it obviously cannot to used for any audio input, probably because the 50 already has XLR audio?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)