Neewer Follow Focus - Comments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Neewer Follow Focus - Comments

Hi Guys

I got my el-cheapo follow focus today and although it definitely quite cheap looking it certainly seems to work very well. There is virtually no backlash on the gearing and it focusses accurately. I don't expect too much for $40 but for the price it's a bargain.

Be careful with the lens gear ...it's only plastic so if you force it open I'm sure it will break so for bigger lenses use the extension pieces and put it on the lens ring carefully. You also need to make sure that your rails are tight and lined up along the camera otherwise the gear will not engage at 90 degrees to the ring.

There was an issue with DSLR's where the FF gearbox hits the camera body with very short lenses but no issue on the EA-50 and my main lens is a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 zoom which is long so no issues there at all. You might have a problem if you use a pancake lens but I don't.

Certainly worth the money but be aware it is plastic so treat it gently ...if you do break it you could esily buy another two of them before you approach the price of a $200 -300 model.

The focus knob is nice and big and easy to grip and turn. I'll give it a full test on my next shoot!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Neewer Follow Focus - Comments

Nice, Thanks for the feedback Chris. I just got the Levers in yesterday. So I have not gotten a chance to try them out yet. i have already sold my kit lens so i have jumped out the nest and flapping my wings. I have to shoot for a TV show Thursday so i'm sure i will get a chance to try the levers.

On another note. i went to Niagra Falls last weekend and i was able to get use to manual focus and Zoom. The trick for me is my Ace in the hole is the digital zoom. That feature really helps. I could kiss Sony square on the mouth for adding that. But by far switching to the manual focus with the Tamron lenses was a good choice and I'm glad I had the courage to make the transition. Time for my first project with this process now.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There are some decent inexpensive follow focus units out there. I picked up the Fotga version off Ebay for about $100 but it also included rails. I use it with my kit lens to do smooth creeping zooms with the auto focus active.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

The huge priced ones are probably better made yes but for me it's pure convenience not having to twist my arm around to get to the focus ring ... with the EA-50 on my shoulder and a Sigma 18-35 lens on the camera it's quite a long reach to the front ring so having the focus knob on the side is a big help. I might just grab a second FF for my other camera that is mainly on tripod at weddings ..it will certainly be easier to adjust focus when it's on the tripod too. Yep they are only plastic but the main point is that IF they fail you still have the original focus ring to fall back on so all it not lost. Lots of space on the EA-50 up front too so I'm sure any lens will work with it.

You sold your stock lens too Aaron??? It's still a great lens I think but I have a policy that I sell anything that I don't use for 6 months and use the money to buy something that I will use...!! I have had a 35mm Nikon F1.8 prime sitting in my camera case for ages so that went on eBay too!!

I also use the digital zoom quite a lot too ...very useful to trim framing and the occasional physical zoom too!! It works best if you don't zoom more than 1.5X ...that way any artifacts/moire generated in the image are not "amplified"

Wow Joe.. under $100 is a bargain! I have the Camtree rail which was $110 on it's own ..I must check into that.

Chris
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
You sold your stock lens too Aaron??? It's still a great lens I think but I have a policy that I sell anything that I don't use for 6 months and use the money to buy something that I will use...!! I have had a 35mm Nikon F1.8 prime sitting in my camera case for ages so that went on eBay too!!

I also use the digital zoom quite a lot too ...very useful to trim framing and the occasional physical zoom too!! It works best if you don't zoom more than 1.5X ...that way any artifacts/moire generated in the image are not "amplified"
Yep, I figure i will sink or swim, lol! I have to learn this and get better so i got rid of my training wheels and will learn to ride without them. Once i saw the difference between the stock lens and the Tamrons it was a done deal. I still have my AX2000 that can capture sports and all that quite well with clarity.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I must admit I was a bit hesitant too especially with focus and depth of field but it's so easy once you get the idea. Even with my F1.8 18-35 sigma I have no issues now. Awesome lens to have in your kit!!

If I get a sports shoot now I'm in trouble but I'll simply not do it. Even with fast moving stuff if you keep the iris at least F8 you have plenty of leeway! If I can find some 15mm aluminium tube I'll also make my own rails as the CamTree ones seem rather heavy!!

Chris
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Major Player

This on the same line as this thread heading.

I want to say to Chris I love these Levers That I Got From Amazon. I really appreciate your suggestion for me to try them. I have not got a chance to use them in a shoot yet, but this morning before work I put them on my lens and was able to see how smooth I can transition with out the jerky motion that I get when I try to do it by hand. I will use them tomorrow and I will have a better understanding and will update afterwards, but as of right now, they are a must have as oppose to using your hand to turn the ring.
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Glad you like them Aaron

They are a simple and cheap solution for manual focus AND the one thing you can do is also put one on the zoom ring for smoother zooms with little extra expense. For those wanting a cheaper deal you can just drill a hole in a hose clip (the ones they use to secure rubber hoses like a car radiator) and put a thin bolt thru the hole and voila you have a follow focus handle. Just be careful that you don't over-tighten it on the lens ring...maybe glue a strip of neoprene foam (like they use in wetsuits) on the inside of the hose clip to protect the lens.

Chris
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:

Wow Joe.. under $100 is a bargain! I have the Camtree rail which was $110 on it's own ..I must check into that.

Chris
I decided to have a quick peak to see what the Fotga rig was selling for these days and got a shock. I bought mine for $99 with free shipping and now it looks like they are going for 3 to 4 X that amount. I bought mine about 2 years ago so I guess demand has caused a price increase. This is what I got minus the extension rod. I guess I should count myself lucky. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

Fotga DP500 Follow Focus FF15MM Support Baseplate Mount | eBay
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Inner Circle

No problems Joe

I really wanted to just make a fixed aluminium frame under my camera with 2 15mm rails and two strips of flat bar at each end for mounting to the camera. The idea was to keep everything as light as I could.

Can you believe it ?? I cannot get 15mm aluminium round tube here!! They make 12mm and 16mm BUT not 15mm .... I wonder where the 15mm spec came from ... I really don't want to have to get my FF machined out from 15 to 16mm and no way is it going to grip correctly on 12mm tube ....Hmmmm problem to solve here .... Is 15mm aluminium a rare product at your hardware store?

Chris
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11
Major Player

I have been looking at this for a while wondering if this would work for the EA50. From the images it looks like it may be too small ideal for DSLR. But now i see you are using it, it must be ok. Another thing that caught my eye was the one screw on the plate. There is no locating pin. Joe did you put in a second screw? How happy are you with that Rail base?
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
No problems Joe

I really wanted to just make a fixed aluminium frame under my camera with 2 15mm rails and two strips of flat bar at each end for mounting to the camera. The idea was to keep everything as light as I could.

Can you believe it ?? I cannot get 15mm aluminium round tube here!! They make 12mm and 16mm BUT not 15mm .... I wonder where the 15mm spec came from ... I really don't want to have to get my FF machined out from 15 to 16mm and no way is it going to grip correctly on 12mm tube ....Hmmmm problem to solve here .... Is 15mm aluminium a rare product at your hardware store?

Chris
I'm in the States so i would not be any good to you... Sorry Bro.
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron

My CamTree rail system doesn't have a locating pin either. It's not a big deal as long as the top of the plate has a rubber mat on it. Mine doesn't slip at all. The camera plates are usually made of diecast aluminium so it you really need a locating pin you could simply drill a hole in the correct position and drop a small shaft into it with a smear of epoxy to keep it in place!! Otherwise if it doesn't have a rubber mat you can just cut a strip of thin rubber and stick it on the plate with a lick of contact adhesive.

The Camtree one doesn't have a screw but a big knurled wheel so it's easy to take off when you have to.

Chris
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quick comment after yesterday's wedding.

My rail system has a single screw wheel to attach the rail to the camera and despite the so-called no slip mat under the plate and making the screw really tight ..it CAN and DOES move sometimes ... the FF stops it moving left but nothing stops it moving right! It only has to move a millimetre and the gears slip because they are only half engaged. I had to keep re-aligning the stupid rail otherwise the gears just slipped.

The EA-50 has 3 mounting holes under the camera ..the two outside ones are threaded 1/4" and the middle one is for a locating pin. Unless you add a pin (and it would have to be an exact fit too) I feel that the only answer to stop the skewing is to discard the fancy Camtree cast fitting and wheel on the rail and toss it out. I will replace it with an aluminium plate the width of the rails and long enough to cover both the front and rear threaded holes under the camera and then mount the rail with not one but TWO screws so it's impossible to swivel or skew around... that way the drive gear and lens ring gear will always be meshed and that should work a LOT better.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)