EA50 Holding Position? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

EA50 Holding Position?

Handheld, when you are holding the cam with your hand in the strap allowing the shoulder pad to rest on your shoulder, what are you doing with the other hand when you are not adjusting your rings?

I do mostly tripod shooting, but I'm trying to incorporate more steadycam action. I want to be liberated from my tripod sometimes to get some nice candid shots. From one of the light sets I got HERE I found using the handle with the ball swivel screwed into my Lens adapter mount serves as a nice support. I'm trying to be more comfortable going handheld.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EA50 Holding Position?

Hi Aaron

I'm sure everyone is different but I tend to hook my finger over the rail tube under the camera so it sorta allows my hand to be rested BUT it also stabilises the camera rig as I always have my sprung rod pushing the camera front upwards so pulling down slightly on the rail makes it quite stable.

Traditionally your left hand goes around the EVF on any ENG camera so probably that's a good place for it to go??? Maybe just lightly snuggle the end if the LCD/viewing tube in the palm of your hand?

I'm not sure if you read the older post here but I found I had to make plastic stops to put between the inside edge of the LCD and the camera as the lcd tends to try to fold inwards no matter how tight the screw is done up .... mine are a little square of plastic with Velcro on it and it stops the LCD moving inwards ..it was my first essential mod!!! The moving LCD drove me crazy!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Left hand on the EVF every time
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Major Player

I only use manual focus, so my left hand is usually holding the lens for quick access to the focus ring. I find it helps to stabilise the camera too.

I quite often use a monopod for run and gun shooting so that also helps.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I only use manual focus, so my left hand is usually holding the lens for quick access to the focus ring. I find it helps to stabilise the camera too.

I quite often use a monopod for run and gun shooting so that also helps.
it's also my same holding position and workflow with monopod.
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I was brought up with shoulder mount cameras all with EVF's on the left and that is a natural position for ones left hand. Pick up your camera, put your right hand under the strap and the pad on your shoulder and your left hand almost automatically falls onto the EVF. That's probably why I did my little block mod too. With the LCD and tube able to collapse inwards to the camera body, I found myself using my left hand more to keep the LCD at 90 degrees .... I stuffed a piece of foam in the gap at my first wedding and voila it was normal so I then made little plastic blocks (about a inch all the way around) to fit in the gap and now I can leave the screw partially tight so I have up and down movement at will without the tube and LCD moving inwards. It really makes the EVF a better holding point

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)