Has anyone bought an EA-50M?? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Has anyone bought an EA-50M??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has bought the updated EA-50M yet? Apart from having the shorter zoom the specs say that it has a new sensor the same size as the FS100 with no aliasing issues and much more sensitive. With the F4 lens Sony is quoting a low lux rating of 1.57 in 50i mode at 1/25th shutter and that's with a slightly slower lens (F4 against F3.5 on the 18-200) Is that for real? The older model is quoted as a minimum lux of 7.0 at 1/25th with the F3.5 lens ... Heck if that's true then the sensor is heaps better and almost gets close to the FS100 (but not quite!) Still it's a huge sensitivity gain over the older model

If you have an M series could you comment please unless Sony's specs are wrong but they seem to be the same locally here and in the USA

Chris
Hey Chris,

Even though I already placed the order I was trying to find info on the new sensor. The bottom line is there is no way of knowing what I am getting. I am not sure where you saw the original EA50U with a lux rating of 7.0? A cording to B&H Photo (not an authority but usually pretty good) both cameras have identical specs of 1.57 as you posted above. This new sensor truly is a mystery, you flat out can not find much on it.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM   #32
Trustee

Randy,

If anyone is genuinely interested I will post my findings. After two years on the shelf there is probably not a lot of interest in this camera but it still works for me.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM   #33
Trustee

Randy,

One more thing for you to consider. The free Metabones E-mount to Canon EF rebate ends at the end of this month. I don't remember if you use Canon lenses or not? If you do that is a $400.00 adapter.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 02:40 PM   #34
Major Player

Steven, what do you mean by 2 years on the shelf?

I would love to see your footage.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:50 PM   #35
Trustee

Hey Tim,

I bought my first one just after it was released about two years ago. I meant two years on store shelves not my shelf. I am not a gadget guy that has to have the latest and greatest. For me, it is all about my ROI. At $2,700.00 plus a free $400.00 adapter that I use this is a great deal for me. It does what I need a camera to do for much of my work.

I work with cameras of all types and levels in my corporate work. I always own lower level professional cameras for smaller productions and interviews that don't require broadcast systems. I learned to shoot video with big heavy Betacams on my shoulder so I love the EA50 form factor. I am always amazed at the bang for the buck you can get these days. I think the EA50 is an amazing bargain.

I will be glad to let you guys know what the second edition is like after it arrives.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM   #36
Major Player

I have a Canon TV Zoom J6x11 macro lens I bought at an auction. Most of the equipment was beta stuff, so not of any great value. But the lens I thought might work. Would this lens work with the EA50 sensor (the old one, since we don't know what the new one is like), and what adapter would be needed if it would work? Thanks, Tim
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:54 PM   #37
Major Player

Also, maybe you could help me with this question. It seems everyone including the news agencies around me are going to really small cams, mostly JVC but also a few panasonics. Am I going to look like old old school if I show up with a larger form factor?

When I started covering protest events, the bigger camera always got the interview, even though we knew some of these guys were shooting with old equipment, the public didn't seem to have a clue. Is that perception changing? Do you lose shots with a cam this big because it is more obvious?

When there are six cams in the subject's face, it is nice when they talk to your lens instead of the competition, so appearances in my events are important.

P.S. I like the idea of post production being for enhancement.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:08 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I truly give up on getting accurate specs as the latest from Sony UK show the discontinued model having a low lux rating of 4 and the new M model now seems to have a lux rating of 5 due to the slower lens. Bottom line is that I have no idea at all so IF you think the M model seems to be better in low light it would be appreciated! Personally I'm pretty happy with the sensor although it would have been better if it had a little better dust and debris protection.

Anyway when it arrives let us know what you think about whether the sensor is different (obviously with the same glass on each camera.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:33 PM   #39
Trustee

Hi Chris,

I will let you guys see what I get out of it.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that on ALL digital cameras of any type the face of sensor is NEVER exposed. Even though it looks like it, what you see and clean is a protective surface over it. So, for example, if you scratch it they do not replace the real sensor, they can replace the protective layer.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:39 PM   #40
Trustee

Tim,

I have very little experience with news shooting. I have freelanced a couple of times and been a stringer a couple times. So I am not the guy to answer for that.

What I would say is call your local station and find out what their broadcast specs are. Just because they CAN broadcast any video format does not mean they want to. Giving them video that meets their spec raw will go a long ways towards getting it used.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:42 PM   #41
Major Player

I'm curious about the EA50U vs EA50M also.
The description of the EA50 (original) says, "NEX-EA50 features a new Exmor APS-C CMOS sensor.."
and the description of the EA50M says, "It inherits the same versatile semi-shoulder mount design from its predecessor--the NEX-EA50UH--but adds an updated Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor.."

The low light specs match on the B&H site and it seems nearly impossible to find information comparing these two cameras so who knows?

I'm thinking about buying a second one.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #42
Major Player

I can answer my own question on the canon lens macro. It does not look like it will work and even if it does, the motor drive will cause problems. Says TV zoom but that was a long time ago and a very different camera.

Took forever to find that answer but finally found a page where someone had actually made the transition.

It would be nice if Sony would finally let the specs of the new model out...
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Hi David

I would say that Steve will be a far more reliable source as to whether the sensor is vastly different than Sony. They might have put in an improved sensor to compensate for the slightly slower F4 stock lens but really who knows?? The only official change that sounds correct (apart from the different lens) is some firmware that allows you to use the grip trigger to record to the SD card and the top handle trigger to record to the FMU drive (assuming it's fitted)

Steve? I would have thought that Sony wouldn't leave an exposed sensor either ... If it does have a protective layer it's pretty good ... So when you do a sensor clean you are actually just wiping off the dust on the top protective layer then???

My cams are also just over 2 years old ..They released them here in December 2012 and I bought one in January 2013 and one in February 2013 ...Wow time flies!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:10 PM   #44
Major Player

Hi Chris. Good to talk to you on this board. I used to be a member on this site a long time ago but I guess my old login expired so I had to start over.

Yes Steve will be a great source regarding the EA50 versions :)

I'm especially curious as to how they compare with the same lens in low light
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:04 PM   #45
Trustee

I started a new thread to compare the two cameras:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex...ml#post1881733

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)