Recommend an adapter for Canon FD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 5th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Recommend an adapter for Canon FD?

I recently inherited a Canon 50mm FD f1.8 lens and would like to play around with it - can anyone recommend an adapter that's not too expensive but also not so cheap it might screw my camera mount.

Cheers

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recommend an adapter for Canon FD?

Hi Pete

If it's a dumb adapter then just get a cheap one! The Fotga FD to NEX adapters are cheap as chips and are aluminium so they certainly won't mess up the SS mount on your camera.

The only issues I found were the fact that the casting is good BUT they tend to powder coat it afterwards so it's too tight. Yep, I paid an arm and a leg ($300!) for my Novoflex and it fitted perfectly but was pricey and is actually a tiny bit loose! When my car was broken into last year my 2nd Novoflex was stolen so I took the cheap one ($15.00!!) out of the draw to try and figure why it never fitted the camera (too tight) it was then I found that the 3 tabs on the camera side were in fact too thick simply due to the powder coating so I used my wife's best emery board to gently reduce the thickness and finished off with 1200 grit water paper and lo and behold it was still a little tight so I repeated the process until it fitted perfectly ! I did the same on the lens side and ended up with something BETTER than the Novoflex and 5% of the price ...it's still working perfectly and for only $15.00!!!! When my Novoflex starts wearing a little I will toss it in the bin and get a cheap one and adjust again for a perfect fit!! Hell, I might even just buy two more just as spares.

If you need a speed booster though then I think Metabones is your only safe route

The cheap ones certainly worked for me but a little re-finishing is needed!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Great tip Chris thanks - I already have 2 Metabones adapters - I think a cheapie this time :)

Something like this

Neewer Mount Adapter For Canon FD FL Lens To Sony NEX-3: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Or this

Fotga For Canon FD mount Lens To Sony NEX-3 NEX-1 E: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Should do the trick
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Good plan! However if it doesn't go onto the camera body smoothly don't do as I did and toss it in the bin! It only needs a tiny amount of light sanding until it fits firmly. BTW: If you have to "trim" the front tabs like I did, make sure you give it a gentle file, followed by 1200 wet/dry paper and use it wet!! That allows any small particles created by the abrasive to be washed off so they don't find their way inside the camera... After each "adjustment" I gave the tabs a quick 1200 rub with water and then washed the whole adapter under the tap and dried it before testing it on the EA-50 body.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)