Sony NEX EA-50 VS Panasonic AG-HMC 150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 6th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony NEX EA-50 VS Panasonic AG-HMC 150

Boy I didnt relize how good I had it! Me and my compulisive self thought mmm. I got this software now that I can use to make the video look like it has a shallow DOF and I can play with the color and contrast to make it look more like what I want. Think i'll sell my EA 50s and use my old Panasonics for now until the new 4Ks come out and what not. I took them out on a "Basic" shoot just to test and wow! they couldnt touch my EA 50s for image quality or low light. They were so noisy even at 6db of gain could probably boost the gain on my EA 50s to 28 db and get a brighter image with less grain than my AC-150s at 12. Glad I didnt sell them yet alothough I may let one go I dont need 2 kits and the Panasonics still make great cover shots. I just hope one of the new cameras coming out will give me the best of both worlds, Small video type camera with the EA-50s look
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NEX EA-50 VS Panasonic AG-HMC 150

Hi Randy

Remember the 150's only have 1/3" sensors and the EA-50 is APSC ..also image processing in camera is WAY better on newer cameras .. I had AC-130's that had the same sensors as the 150 and my little Panasonic FZ1000's produce a way better low light image at weddings than the 130's ever would (EA-50's too needed F1.8 Sigmas at weddings to produce the same image as my little bridge cameras do with a F2.8 lens!! What are considering using next???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Trustee

To be honewst I dont know because things are just so different these days. Im insterested in the
Panasonic AG-UX180 if it can get close to my EA 50s. Im tired of playing the lense game among other things but i'll do what I need to do. If all else fails I guess I could get one of the new Sony DSLRs and use my NEX glass right?
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Like me, I know you are happier with a fixed lens zoom, with a rocker zoom and decent autofocus especially for weddings. The biggest issue I found with the EA-50 was trying to find a "clean" area to change lenses, trying to stay in focus with manual lenses since the EA-50 never came out with a super fast auto lens .. That's what you need to find!! So far I have found that my little FZ1000's give me everything I need EXCEPT the zoom really sucks ... if that camera had a smooth multispeed rocker zoom I would be happy but I have to just use the zoom to frame and nothing else.
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Well apparently theres a firmware update for my Sony 17-105 I need to do and if I cant I can use it or my 18-200 on a Sony Alpha and get full auto features. but I think ill wait to see what the Panasonic UX-180 brings
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Randy

You should take a look at the new Panasonic FZ2500 ... Full 4K (including UHD and DCI) plus variable frame rates and brilliant autofocus ! There is no zoom rocker sadly but brilliant slow zooms and even better they have dolly zoom as well where the background zooms up or away and the subject stays where it is and in focus. OK it's not a shoulder mount but a tiny rig would sort that out and my kinda price too ..Under $1500!! All the zoom you need 24 - 480mm ... I love shoulder mounts but these are so light I can use a twin grip rig and my back never suffers at all now!! Image quality absolutely kills the EA-50 or HMC150 with super sharp Leica optics !
Old September 24th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Sony has something like that too, looks tempting. I am looking at the ARs-II from sony. I saw a review on it and it looks awesome plus I think I can use my NEX lenses with it.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:43 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the HMC-150 and EA50 as well. Though mine is the original "EA50U" and not the newer "EA50M" which is a little better sensor.
The HMC 150s are still my main cameras for weddings. I do not use gain since they are so noisy.
They used to be considered a good low light camera then came newer cameras like the FS100 and today they aren't so great in low light. But they have global shutters with no rolling shutter issues and the CCDs make lovely skin tones. I just talk ahead of time with brides and make sure LED lights are ok when needed.

For outdoor wide shots I have sharper cameras. My main beef with the old 150 is the lousy LCD screen which is hard to judge focus. I like the EA50's LCD with colored focus peaking so much better!

If I were to get a replacement I would also look at the UX-180 and nearly identical HC-X1 which just came out. I like the idea of dual codec recording and many other features they have. The wide and long 20X zoom would be nice to have too!

For now I just bought a Sony A7Sii to use when I really need low light performance and also 4K. I am slowly building up E-mount lenses for my various Sony cameras (A6000, FS700R)
David Banner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)