First impressions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal Krolik View Post
I actually had a chance to try one out and it still ends with a slightly fuzzy image, hence the search :-(
I don't think you would get a better image than the CX550 until you spend quite a lot more $$ - too many people here using them side by side with FX/AX/NX/EX cameras with good results. I've yet to find a truly compelling reason to spend 2-3X+ as much on a camera, although I keep looking. Once you learn the capabilities of some of these smaller cameras, you'd be surprised how effective they can be when properly used. Panasonic's 700 series and the GH1/2 would also probably be quite effective.

I'm wondering if the camera you "tried out" was improperly set up. I have a pair of these for a simple event type setup (one wide + one tight/tracking) - no problems with image quality or "fuzzy image"... there are lots of ways to get a degraded image, and I'm suspicious that it's something other than the camera?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
WAIT A MINUTE!

I just did a DOF TABLE for my book and the idea, promoted by Sony, that a big sensor provides a shallow DOF is just plain BS. You have to work hard to get a shallow DOF. In a typical seminar room, say at 12 feet from the speaker, there can be a 17 foot DOF.

The VG10 comes with a 400mm lens. That's long enough to shoot pimples on a speakers face.

You can easily use +24dB gain which is better than what the eye can see in a dark room.
A few db when you are struggling is fine, but 24db? Really?

If you are having to use 24db you've made some seriously bad calls in terms of your lens choice and camera position.
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #33
Regular Crew

While you guys gave me a lot to think and contemplate about as far as possibilities go, a time comes when one must make a decision, especially in this field where things change so fast.
I was really intrigued by the original post's suggestion of the GH2 and after researching it, it seems that this might be a better way to spend my money, especially consider future potential work which will be more of scripted stage productions. As far as the seminar issue, I spoke with the client regarding the dimly lit conference room interior and they seem to finally be ok with me throwing some light in there. This has not been an option before so I'm glad they agreed.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM   #34
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
A few db when you are struggling is fine, but 24db? Really?

If you are having to use 24db you've made some seriously bad calls in terms of your lens choice and camera position.
You don't own the VG10 do you.

Zoomed, all zoom lenses are f/5.6 because that the NORM for Super 35 sized sensors. Clearly you must be shooting with last gen tiny sensors.

24 is simply a number. It means nothing. You can go to 27dB if you want. What you don't understand is that big sensors are noiseless up to 21dB gain. Your tiny chip cameras go to crud at 12dB.

And camera position has nothing to do with anything.

Best you do a bit of learning about HDSLRs before posting on what works and doesn't work.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:17 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
You don't own the VG10 do you.
Incorrect. Unlike many of the posters on here who spend their days expressing opinions on something they have never used or even seen, I do own a VG10.

You've made an assumption that you are going to be shooting on a zoom lens rather than a prime that will be far better equipped for a low light situation. Like a professional photographer, you should be buying lenses for the situations you are planning on shooting, not trying to uses lenses unsuited to the job in hand and then hoping the electronics can bail you out.

I'll state again, 24db is not acceptable. You'll be pulling up picture information that simply isn't there, grain or no grain. You may find the results acceptable, however as someone who winces when I apply 3db of gain to my EX1, I do not. It's the lazy way out and has consequences.

You simply don't need that amount of gain if you are doing things right. On a camera where you can actually change lenses, it's just rank lazyness.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM   #36
HDV Cinema

Your advice was completely off target for the question asked. Shooting a conference is not exactly filmmaking. No need to worry about a tiny bit of noise. And, he told he can add light!

You can see NO noise on the VG10 until 18dB. And, only a tiny bit at +21dB.

Of course one is going to use a zoom. It would be just plain stupid to show up at an unknown conference room and use anything but a zoom. Moreover a zoom is bundled with the VG10. Why should he buy another when there's no need to.

PS: if you think you see noise on an EX1 at 3dB you are seeing things.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:36 AM   #37
Major Player

Some nice side by side low light comparsion shots between a VG10 and a 5d mark II using the same 50mm 1.4 lens at various different gain/ISO settings...

Sony NEX-VG10 compared to dslr, defective or broke nex-vg10.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900