strobe like image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old December 11th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Major Player

strobe like image

I just got VG10 and I am testing it against 550V; I have a problem - VG10 image is all strobe like!!!!! I set shutter speed to 1/60th and it looks like I am shooting 24p - it is horrible. Image from 550V looks perfectly smooth when panning. What is wrong. Am I missing something?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Although the VG10 says its 60i or 50i in europe - it packages the original 25p or 30p images in a 50i or 60i container where each "field" is the same - this is not a camera for fast pans - treat it like a film camera - read up on how film makers avoid heavy "stepping" by controlling the speed of pans or by allowing the subject to move slowly through the field of vision - using a combined relation between the subject and camera movements - this camera whilst appearing "awkward" needs the user to learn or re learn film making techniques to get the best out of it - example: no auto zoom - a good thing - film makers rarely zoom, but move by track, dolly, and crane - personally, auto features like zoom are strictly for the domestic holiday crowd - full telephoto whilst standing on a ship at sea - ya know what I mean!

Oh, and buy something like a Lightcraft variable ND as well as a step up ring to avoid vignetting whilst in use... helps no end when shooting outdoors - instant iris control!

Paul
Old December 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
... it looks like I am shooting 24p
All those who were worried that it would't look like 24p can now rest easy. :)

This is the look folks pay $2000 for.

Of course, Paul is correct. If you don't shoot like a filmmaker would, you can make it look quite bad.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I am returning it to the store. This camera has SMALLER lcd than 550V. It must be some kind of bad joke from Sony. It is impossible to tell what's in focus: no peaking or expanded focus; if their idea was that I must use additional lcd then I am buying Nikon.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
I am returning it to the store. This camera has SMALLER lcd than 550V. It must be some kind of bad joke from Sony. It is impossible to tell what's in focus: no peaking or expanded focus; if their idea was that I must use additional lcd then I am buying Nikon.
It is a let down that the camera lacks this feature. However the counter argument goes that in the days of 16mm you didn't have focus assist either.

But as I have said in other threads, I think focus assist has been omitted intentionally.
Old December 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Major Player

this is not a "counter argument" for me; try to compare 16mm film footage to full HD and you will see that it is like night and day in terms of detail; (although it was possible to put man on the moon 40 years ago we can not compare that technology to present times) it is beyond any reasonable argument why they used such a small horrible LCD (I have Sony XR550V and its LCD is much bigger and better - so it is available and used by Sony!). Practically it is impossible to film with this camera unless all you need are "close enough" shots or use 8" external LCD but in that case again I'd rather use Nikon or Canon cameras.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900