DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   VG10 / VG20 Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/489142-vg10-vg20-various-topics.html)

Jay Bloomfield February 27th, 2012 10:58 AM

Re: 24p mode with no 1/24 shutter speed?

Chris B. already discussed this issue in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...harpening.html

John Vincent March 2nd, 2012 11:57 AM

Problems w/ Baseplate?

Seeing some videos and threads over a vimeo regarding a weak tripod mounting plate/baseplate fro the VG10/20. Anyone here have any issues with this? Someone suggested using JB Weld (I'm assuming under the original baseplate).

I just bought the VG20, so any info I can get before I start strapping on the glass would be awesome...

Thanks!

Sort vid of making a template for a new baseplate:
baseplate.wmv - YouTube

Dirk Pel March 5th, 2012 06:02 AM

Re: Problems w/ Baseplate?

The video was from me.
I made this baseplates from 1mm aluminium, not a big problem. The only problem was to find the small screws. Here in Germany no problem but perhaps in the USA?
I show in the short film how to find the holes. I have both the VG10 and the 20, after the new plates I'm sure that the original baseplate will not brake away.
There were als baseplates sold by ebay in the usa.
The holes for the 10 and 20 are not the same.

John Vincent March 8th, 2012 10:24 AM

Day 2 w/VG20

Well, I've a little more time w/ the VG20 and have some more observations:

- This camera is infinitely easier on batteries then DSLRs (or older video cameras). The camera comes with one NP-FV70 battery, which apparently is Sony's middle of the road power source for this type of camera. It came partially charged, and it took me quite a while to drain it all the way down. The battery life is shown as both a scale and a percentage, not a prediction of minutes left... which is just fine.

- With 2 NP-VF 70 batteries and a NP-VF 100 (the biggest battery available for this camera), you should be able to shoot all day and then some.

- The NP-VF100 goes for like $91 at B&H, an incredible value. My last "true" video camera (the JVC GY100) used batteries that cost nearly $1,000 and would last maybe 3 hours. Battery life on DSLRs even shorter for video use, so having such long shooting life is a blessing.

- Took about 6 hours to charge. Be aware that these batteries can be "fully charge" and "super fully charged," meaning if if leave it in the charger for about an extra hour after "fully charged" you'll gain some top end on battery life.

- I also received a 3rd party battery of the same power which works just fine (some reports of 3rd party batteries not working). This battery called "power 2000."

- It has peaking, an incredibly useful feature for focusing. Sometimes it's easier to use peaking rather than expand focus - particularly in bright light, of it your eyes are tired. Here, the VG20 offers not only different colors (I prefer red), it also has 2 levels of sensitivity - another nice feature. Most higher end cameras have this ability and it's a huge plus for this camera.

- Seriously, the peaking mode is nice.

- Screen grid overlays - not terribly useful here, as there's only one option, essentially breaking the screen into 3rds. Not TV safe overlays or the like.

- Histogram - another pro feature this camera has. Didn't play with it too much, but it's available and seemed to work fine. I tend not use them, but to some shooters it's an absolutely needed feature.

- Manual control - on the side of the camera is a "manual" button and right next to it, a wheel. You can assign one dedicated feature to the wheel (such as iris, whit balance, gain, shutter, etc), just spin the wheel and the value goes up or down accordingly. To use/access whatever control isn't already dedicated, just hold down the manual button and the camera puts the user into a menu allowing for full manual control (except for sharpening and contrast).

- You can only use/set these advanced manual modes (as well as mic/sound modes and cinetone setting) if the camera is set up to shoot/record.

While you can access the menu play in playback mode, you can't actually change any settings - apparently a way of preventing accidental changes. Sort of counter-intuitive really, but once you realize what's happening, it's no big deal.

- Using the wheel in conjunction with the touch screen, I found that I could get to any place in the menu very quickly. Again, some hate the touch screen, but I'm coming to like it quite a bit. Def faster then Canon DSLRs in which you must scroll through lots of stuff to get to whatever you're looking for.

- Of course, touch screens are more fragile and not so good in freezing weather, but in the end it does make it easier to get to what you want faster under most shooting conditions.

- 13 hrs - that's how long the VG20 can record straight according to the manual. Obviously, that should be long enough for practically any application.

- Playback - it's very easy to set the camera to playback everything on the card, w/o having to continuously hitting play - a very nice, simple, idea.

- Cinetone - The only other setting available other then "normal" mode. Makes images darker for sure, and perhaps reduces sharpening. May be useful, but I need to do a more detailed examination of this feature.

- 60p - seems to work just fine using 32gb class 10 Transend cards - some had reported that 60p didn't work using 32gb class 10 cards. All I can say is that they seem to work for me.

- The stereo mode works very well. Haven't tried using the 5.1 mode, other than to see if it works at all (it does). On board sound of this quality is a very nice bonus.

- Using an external mic does 2 things: A) it cuts off the on-board mic (which is too bad; it'd be nice to be able to assign each mic to a separate channel), and B) Adds a bit of a delay in the headphones. Not sure why this is happening, but it is a bit annoying. Doesn't affect the recording or ability to judge levels, but it's something I'd like to see in a firmware fix.

Antonin Baches March 13th, 2012 10:34 AM

a winter night in my village

Sony VG20 + Sigma 30mm 1.4
No color correction

Buba Kastorski March 13th, 2012 12:35 PM

Re: a winter night in my village

beautiful place!
maybe couple non fixed shots, i know thre is no IS, and sliders been largely abused by a majority of shooters, but couple slowly moving shots would be nice,
thanks for sharing;

Terry Cummings March 19th, 2012 09:13 PM

Battery compatibility: Type V and ype H

The manual specifies the Type V. Type H from an older camera looks identical. Both can be charged with the Type H dual charger and both read the same battery status. Both are Actiforce product line and both have the same capacity and voltage on the lable. Type H will not engage properly in the NEX VG 20. The center index tab on each side is 50% too long. Simple effort with a knife, chisel or Dremel tool would cure that. My question is, has any one done this or does anyone know why it won't work. My guess is the guts are identical, but Sony Marketing needs a change every couple of years to get us to throw out the older gear.

Terry Cummings March 19th, 2012 09:39 PM

Lighter weight accessories for VG20

I'm getting ready for a major foreign trip. Baggage weight is a serious problem. Here are some of my gear findings.

The LowePro Top Loader Zoom 55 case is a perfect fit if the lens hood is stowed or left off. It weighs 0.8 pounds. The LowePro TZL AW is a bit larger and will take the VG20 with the lens hood in shooting position. It weighs 1.6 pounds.

I found the Sony VCT-80AV tripod works well. It has a remote on the handle which turns the camera on and off and starts/stops the video and triggers the still image when in that mode. It weighs 3.44 pounds with bag. This is about a pound less that my previous traveling tripod. The fluid head is okay. Seems like a good fit for this camcorder. Its rated load capacity is 8 lbs 13 oz.

In the process of searching for this tripod, I came across an adapter cable to convert my older tripod LANC plug to the plug this camcorder needs. Is this change still another Sony Marketing driven design decision?

At home I use other more robust tripods. They don't come with a LANC remote on the handle. Sony I think sells an add on remote, but a trick from years ago comes to mind. We just bought Sony's cheapest remote tripods, transferred the handles to the Gitzos or equivalent and threw the Sony legs away.

Terry Cummings March 19th, 2012 09:43 PM

Lighter weight accessories for VG20

I'm getting ready for a major foreign trip. Baggage weight is a serious problem. Here are some of my gear findings.

The LowePro Top Loader Zoom 55 is a perfect fit if the lens hood is stowed or left off. It weighs 0.8 pounds. The LowePro TZL AW is a bit larger and will take the VG20 with the lens hood in shooting position. It weighs 1.6 pounds.

I found the Sony VCT-80AV tripod works well. It has a remote on the handle which turns the camera on and off and starts/stops the video and triggers the still image when in that mode. It weighs 3.44 pounds with bag. This is about a pound less that my previous traveling tripod. The fluid head is okay. Seems like a good fit for this camcorder.

In the process of searching for this tripod, I came across an adapter cable to convert my older tripod LANC plug to the plug this camcorder needs. Is this still another Sony Marketing driven design decision?

At home I use other more robust tripods. They don't come with a LANC remote on the handle. Sony I think sells an add on remote, but a trick from years ago comes to mind. We just bought Sony's cheapest remote tripod, transferred the handle to the Gitzo or equivalent and threw the Sony legs away.

Dave Blackhurst March 20th, 2012 02:56 AM

Re: Lighter weight accessories for VG20

Sony switched the LANC interface to the AV jack MANY moons ago... the RM-AV2 is the smaller separate controller that goes direct into the AV jack if memory serves... I've got a couple "extras" around here that I'll double check the model # when I get to 'em to sell 'em!

John Vincent March 22nd, 2012 09:40 AM

Review: 16mm NEX on the VG20

Just got a lightly used 16mm lens from a guy in NY for a good price and I'm glad I did.

It's my only "native" lens I own for the VG20 - meaning it's the only lens I own that has auto-focus. And boy howdy does it focus - far and away better then some of the lens I've used on the Canon. The NEX lens use a different method to focus and it allows for far quicker focus pulls.

That said, Canon lenses are all over the place in terms of focus speed, so I'm not condemning the whole lot, but it sure is a nice surprise to have a lens so snappy. It works perfectly in photo mode, really making the VG20 a true hybrid camera.

Other nice features:

- it's nice and wide without producing the "fisheye" effect that bad wide angle lenses sometimes do.

- It's tiny (it's one of the so-called "pan cake" lenses). Weighs maybe an once. Normally I like a big heavy lens, but for wide angles it's nice to have small. Why? B/C stedi-cam type shots benefit from wide angle lenses, and stedi-cams benefit from small, balanced lenses. Two checks for that here.

- And because the VG20 is so small, it should be very easy to "fly" the camera on my stedi-cam.

- It's (relatively) fast at F 2.8. Wide angle lens tend towards being slow, so 2.8 is considered pretty fast for this focal length.

- It was cheap. I got it used for $150; new they go for as little as $250 (although supplies are limited, so some retailers have jacked up the price to $400). For reference, a new model Canon 14mm 2.8 lens is going for $2,200, while the Samyang 14mm is going for $430 (with no auto focus). So quite a bargain all things considered.

- Sony sells a E-Mount Wide Angle Conversion Lens for $110 which makes the 16mm lens even wider - essentially making the same focal length as a 14mm lens on a full frame camera. Which is very wide indeed.

- You can also get a fish-eye conversion lens for the same price.

- It looks cool. All silver, very sleek.

Negatives:

- No hard stops on the focus rings - it will spin all the away around. In fact, no markings either. Now this isn't such a big deal on a wide angle lens, because everything tends to be in focus, but it is something to consider.

- It's plastic. Prolly wouldn't break if you dropped b/c it's so light, but this lens would never be confused with a hammer.

- No manual aperture. Now, most new lens have electronic aps, so it's not a flaw per se, but I like manual, actual physical, control over the F stop.

- E mount lens can only be used on E mount cameras, or micro 4/3s mounts (via an adapter). So don't plan on porting any E lens over to Canon or Nikon cameras.

Sample stills:
View image: DSC02472
View image: DSC02480
View image: DSC02445
View image: DSC02483

Sample video:
storm footage - YouTube

John Vincent March 29th, 2012 10:28 AM

VG-20 and the Flycam Nano a good match

Short video test of the Flycam Nano with a VG-20 mounted. This is where the small size of the camera and the 16mm NEX lens really comes into play:

Overall, easier to balance (and therefore use properly) then a Canon DSLR. All settings were full auto as it was only a test.

For those who don't know what a Flycam Nano is, here's a nice review of the unit (note that prices have gone up since he made this video - it goes for about $190 now):

Flycam Nano Review - YouTube

James Clarke April 15th, 2012 09:01 AM

Will this work ?

I found this battery on Ebay, has anyone ever used it or will it work on the VG20

4500mAh Battery NP-FV100 FV50 FV70 For SONY HDR-CX110, HDR-CX130/B, HDR-CX160/B | eBay

or this they say it will work with the VG10

NP-FV100 Battery w/Charger for Sony Handycam NEW | eBay

John Vincent April 15th, 2012 08:49 PM

Re: Will this work ?

I have a "Power 2000" NP-VF70 knock-off, and it works fine (although it doesn't last as long as the Sony counter part). That said, I have heard other VG20 users say that other brands of 3rd party batteries don't work.

Seems like a heluva deal if it works anywhere near as well as the actual Sony. Let us know how it works if you end up getting it....

john

Les Wilson April 24th, 2012 08:08 AM

Anyone using the VG-20 with EX1 or EX3?

I asked in the XDCAM EX forum about this as well as the AF-100 but wanted to look closer at the VG-20. Is anyone using the VG-20 as a b-camera with an XDCAM EX camera?

I understand the filmic difference with the sharp XDCAM but what about color matching and sensitivity? I had a TM700 b-camera but in studio lighting, the TM700 (understandably) wasn't sensitive enough to use with the EX1R. I now use a 5DM2 which is about equal at ISO 400 and f2.8. So I wonder if the larger sensor VG-20 would be sensitive enough to produce a good image as an EX1R in the same lighting.

Anyone using these two together?

Chris Barcellos April 25th, 2012 12:05 AM

Re: Anyone using the VG-20 with EX1 or EX3?

Thing about the VG20 is that it only has one real picture style. So it would be more about matching the EX cameras to it. I have the mkii but not an Ex camera. I consider the Vg20 equal to or better than theCanon in terms of sensitivity and less noisy with a finer grain in the higher ISO/gain settings.

Dave Bacon May 7th, 2012 03:52 AM

VG10 and LA Ea2 question

Hi
This question may have been covered - but it seems there are conflicting views.

I have a VG10 and was planning to get a Sony 70-400 G and the LA Ea2 adaptor for wildlife (hobby) filming. I want auto focus to work.

I have read that the la ea2 will lock aperture at 3.5.

But to be clear - does it absolutely lock it at 3.5, or is that the largest aperture it will allow with AF? ie using the 70-400 will I be able to have it on autofocus and set the aperture priority to say f8?

cheers
Dave

Werner Graf June 9th, 2012 01:10 AM

Sigma 2.8 30 mm

It is a fantastic cheap & sharp lens. Booting the Nex takes 1-2 sec more and Autofocus is good

LensRentals.com - NEX-7 Lens Imatest Results

Henry Williams June 9th, 2012 04:50 AM

Re: Sigma 2.8 30 mm

Hi Werner,

Absolutely agreed. I've just used the lens on a short film paired with my VG20 and it really is very nice indeed. Sharp without being too digital and clinical. Still feels like it has a bit of life in it. Particularly pleasing bokeh stopped open as well :)

Henry

John Vincent June 18th, 2012 01:51 PM

Memorial Day Ceremony shot w/VG20

Got a call literally 2 hours before the event, so it's def not a polished as I'd like (particularly in the sound department - ran out of the house w/o the dead cat), but it certainly shows how well the camera can perform in blazing heat:

Couple of technical facts:

- Temp - well over a hundred on the camera (no shade at all, record hot day)

- Cinetone used for the entire shoot

- Rokinon 35 mm prime only lens used plus Cokin matte box/ND filter

- Standard battery used

- 32 GB Transcend card (plenty of room)

- Edited w/ Vegas, no color correction used - just simple cuts/fades.

Don't think I'd use Cinetone again - better to achieve that effect in post - but it's certainly usable if you like that particular look.

John Vincent July 3rd, 2012 01:56 AM

"Predator" camo effect using Sony VG20/ Vegas

Hey guys, thought you might want to take a quick peep at this very short vid on how I got a Predator SFX shot using the VG20 and Vegas:

James Clarke August 18th, 2012 05:27 PM

VG20 External Audio Note

If you start a recording and then plug in an external mic it wont be recognised until you press the stop button and then start again, i found this out the hard , i just thought i would note it the cameras internal mic is used

John Vincent August 19th, 2012 03:29 AM

Re: VG20 External Audio Note

Excellent tip - I had no idea it worked that way.

Werner Graf September 17th, 2012 05:34 AM

VG 20 Aliasing with Superwides

Made test outside my studio with my VG 20 Tokina @ F4.0 11-16 mm 2.8 shutter 1/2000 Gain 0 sunny day.
Not so bad as i thought. Will test it later with Nex5N to.

In general viewing on the computer has much more Aliasing and less sharpness than on HDMI Screen!

I use normaly VariND filters instead of high shutter speeds, but with the super wides i'm not shure if this is a good idea.

VG 20 Tokina @ F4.0 11-16 mm 2.8 shutter 1/2000 Gain 0 some Aliasing
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30801792/tok_11-16.mov

VG 20 Sigma @ F0.0 8-16 mm 2.8 shutter 1/320 Gain 0 more artificial details
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30801792/sig%208-16.mov

William Koenig December 4th, 2012 08:47 PM

Looking to obtain a New SELP 18-200 Power Zoom lens

Hello,

Please forgive me if this post is in any way inappropriate, for wheeling and dealing. But I am trying to obtain a new lens. It appears that Sony may not sell this lens separately. I would like to work out a deal with someone who is going to buy a VG30 or a EA50 (preferably), and who doesn't want the lens. I understand that the lens is one of the main draws, but I also know that quite a few people out there don't care for the original SEL18200 lens, and this seems to be the same lens with power zoom. Perhaps my best bet is someone who was planning to buy the VG30 without the lens in the first place and would like to get their VG30 with a discount once parted out.

I will pay above the $900 bundle price on the VG30.

Please contact me if you may be interested.

Thank you,

William Koenig
william_koenig@hotmail.com

Joe Ogiba December 6th, 2012 06:19 PM

Re: Looking to obtain a New SELP 18-200 Power Zoom lens

I am sure Sony will offer that lens soon since the VG900 has the power zoom button like the VG30 and this will work well in APS-C mode on it.

Jay Morrissette December 26th, 2012 11:32 PM

Another VG-20 video - still learning

We had a big Thanksgiving party as a thank you for our volunteers. One of the decorations for the party was a giant pumpkin. At the end of the party, the boss, perhaps jokingly, said "wouldn't it be cool to throw it off the roof?".

So....on the last day of work before the Christmas break, we did as he suggested.

The video is a bit rough, and the edits were rushed. I'm posting this here so people can see what the camera looks like in natural light in a fast paced environment. There was no time for color grading, or anything to enhance the video. The VG-20 was in auto the whole time. Most of the sound was captured from the VG-20 as well. I can't tell you how impressed I am with its built in mic.

There were 3 cameras used -the VG-20 for most of it, with an a77 on the ground during the drop, and a GoPro at ground zero.

The time frame was rushed:
10:30am start filming
11:00am the drop
11:15 to 12:00pm capture footage
12pm-1pm Lunch
1pm to 4pm - edit, compose music, render and post video.

thanks,
~Jay

enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChYYXCLdC7g

Peter Rush February 8th, 2013 02:07 AM

Auto Exposure Shift - Where?

Hi All - in the manual on page 75 it clearly states that 'You can adjust the automatic exposure level to brighter or darker by touching + if the backlight is bright or - if the subject is dim'

Now there are no physical + or - buttons on the camera so I've scoured the menus but cannot find this adjustment!

Anyone help?

John Vincent February 8th, 2013 01:52 PM

Re: Auto Exposure Shift - Where?

The manual may be referring to the wheel, jog it up and down. It also might not work with 3rd party or non-NEX lenses.

Will mess with it at the shoot tonight to find out more!

Paul Wags March 4th, 2013 03:23 AM

Sony VG30 Helicopter Shoot

Hi all

Took the little Sony VG30 up in the Jetranger Helicopter over the Great Barrier Reef here in Cairns Queensland. Footage was all shot handheld with the stock 18-200mm lens on.

What a great little camera, best footage I have ever got from a heli without a gyro.

Robert Young March 5th, 2013 10:39 PM

Re: Sony VG30 Helicopter Shoot

Awesome scenery...
Great camera!

Paul Wags March 11th, 2013 08:34 PM

Sony NEX VG30 Steadicam Shoot

Hi

Here is the little Sony VG30 in action again with the stock 18-200mm lens.
Had it on the Glidecam HD 2000 hooked to a Merlin vest and arm.
Dumped the raw 50P 28mbps AVCHD clips in EDIUS and this is what it spat out :-)

The Block Party Cairns Skate Park 2013 Demo Shoot Sony VG30 - YouTube

Paul Rickford April 24th, 2013 11:38 AM

Sensor Cleaning?

Can i please ask what fellow VG 10/20/30 owners use to clean dust/oil marks off the sensor?, ideally anti-static to help stop a recurrence would be nice.

My VG30 is prone to getting odd marks popping up which show on the image in plain areas like the sky etc, seems to be recurring more and more, never noticed it so much previously on the VG20, just bad luck I guess.
Can't find any reference in the manual, but I thought I read somewhere that the camera should do a auto vibrating clean on switch off like the NEX-7?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

John Vincent April 24th, 2013 10:51 PM

Re: Sensor Cleaning?

I use a simple air bulb blower. Cheap, simple, and works like a charm. Lots of varieties, but the cheap one work fine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318545-REG/Giottos_AA1910_Rocket_Air_Blower.html

Erik Wittbusch April 30th, 2013 07:20 AM

Re: Sony NEX VG30 Steadicam Shoot

Very nice!

I like the smooth moves of the camera combined with the slomo and the aggressive music.
Really well done.

Did you use any picture tweaking on the VG30?

Nino Defra May 20th, 2013 01:38 AM

anyone interested in a EA50

Hi, anyone interested in a EA50 bought two months ago, I had only three marriages, I have poor eyesight and can not seem to cope well with autofocus, I have not found suitable for the way I work very fast and reportage ....
Sony Ea50eh kit
sal 16-50 oss f2.8
adapter sony laea2
adapter for Nikon
adapter for canon

for price contact ninodfr@iol.it

sorry for English use a translator

Ron Wilk May 22nd, 2013 04:07 PM

NEX VG30 chroma subsampling

Hello,
Does anyone know whether the VG30 uses 4:2:2 subsampling or 4:2:0?
I believe I read that the VG900 uses the former, and aside from the sensor they appear to be fairly similar.
Thank you in advance.

John Vincent May 23rd, 2013 09:32 AM

Re: NEX VG30 chroma subsampling

The VG series all "print" 4:2:0 to the SD card. I've seen nothing to indicate that the VG900 prints 4:2:2 to the SD card (it's not on the B&H or Sony website that I could find, and it's not listed in the manual).

Many people have stated that they believe the VG lineup does output a 4:2:2 signal if recording to an outboard hard drive (like a Ninja). Haven't tested myself, but I'd say it's a good bet it does.

Be very wary of assuming that Sony will stay consistent with their different cameras - even if they use they exact same hardware - I believe that they tinker with every single model just enough to make each unique (although the VG20/30 are quite close).

Unlike the Canon DSLRs, which all seem to be more or less cut from the same cloth in any particular generation, there can be major differences with Sony.

Ron Wilk May 25th, 2013 02:54 PM

Nex vg900

Hello,
I am new to this section of the site and to the NEX-VG900 and as such have a few questions that I hope other users can answer:
1. when using an E-mount adapter to connect a 35mm lens to the cam I assume that the VG900 has to be set to APC mode?
2. I have attached a Leica M 28mm F2 lens to the E-mount adapter and have been experiencing some difficulty focusing same. With the focus assist peaking set to minimal, objects in both the foreground and background (near and distant) appear to be in focus but, if focus expand/magnification is employed what previously appeared—via the focus assist with minimal peaking—to be in focus may in fact not actually be.
Is this a function of the wide angle lens or a camera/firmware bug?
3.Are there any users who have found or are using relatively light weight "A"mount motorized zoom lenses in the medium tele range that provide a sharp, contrasty image with the 900 and if so, which one or ones would they be?
Thank you in advance.

Addendum: I believe that #2 above has been resolved. Switching from an inexpensive Leica M to E adapter to a variety that has been canned by many—Fotodiox pro—seems to have rectified the issue. I suspect that the original adapter was not up to snuff as it pertains to flange tolerance.
As for #3 above, the Sony lens that comes with the VG30—albeit an apc lens—can be purchased for use with the 900 and is allegedly fully functional as it pertains to focus and exposure automation. The more costly, and considerably heavier fixed aperture Sony Alpha 70-200mm lens apparently will not invoke the autofocus when used with the "A" adapter that accompanies the camera. An odd Sony oversight. Hopefully it will be addressed in the future.
But in the end, the VG900, while no substitute for my F3, is as light as a feather and could conceivably be carried around all day long without the arm fatigue and gaggle of accessories demanded by the F3. And the slightly soft image described by others—likely the result of the lacking in-camera sharpening—can easily be addressed in post by a touch of sharpening.

Cliff Totten May 27th, 2013 07:38 AM

VG20 - 8 bit RAW pictures too?

I was just looking at some VG20 pictures in Adobe RAW. I noticed that all the color values are 8 bit. (0-255)

Is this true? Is this camera locked down to 8 bit RAW capture? I would have expected 12 bit.

Anybody know?

CT