VG10 / VG20 Various Topics - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 7th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

LCS-VCD (Sony NEX-VG10/VG20 Bag)

Anyone know whether that bag is worth the money or is it overpriced and should I just go for a cheaper one, Im not going to be carrying anything apart from the camcorder and maybe a few lens and a power adapter.
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #32
Major Player

Re: LCS-VCD (Sony NEX-VG10/VG20 Bag)

Chris,

I bought this bag a few months ago - whether it is good value for money is not for me to say, but it is very well made and excellent materials. I use it now as my main bag for my NX70, as I can fit the camera in ¨ready to to go¨, in addition to spare batteries and charger.

The only thing which is superfluous for me is the tripod flap on the top of the bag.
Let me know if you want any pictures with the VG10 in the case.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #33
Regular Crew

NEX-VG20 settings?

Hello, I haven't had my camcorder for long so im not aware of the most useful settings to change on the camcorder, are their any settings that automatically are not very good and I should change?

Thanks!
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Re: NEX-VG20 settings?

My rules for my own purposes are:

1. Do not use Cinematone, or whatever its called these days. It will seems to add to cause more issues in post color grading.

2. Set your zebras at 100 percent. That will tell you what portion of the image is going close to being blown out.

3. I try to get everything into a manual mode. For about 95 percent of shots, you want a standard shutter speed 1/50 for 24 and 25p, 1/60 for 30p and 1/125 for 60p.

4. The lower the Fstop, the shallower your depth of field will be. If you are shooting outdoors and you want to use a shallow depth of field, get ND filters or a variable ND. Its really the only way you are going to move the lens to the lower depth of field without blowing out the image.
5. In fast moving situations, set your white balance to indoor or outdoor depending on where you are shooting. If you have time to manually white balance, do it, using a simple white board.

6. Try to manually set sound, unless you can't ride it. Then, you should probably leave it on auto. It will be more of challenge in post to clean up, but you will not loose as much. Its a tough call on any on camera mic. I think this one is good, but it picks up camera noise, so consider a separate shock mounted mic still.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #35
Major Player

VG20 as B-Roll to NX5U and other applications?

Good morning,

I'm in the process of shopping for a B-Roll camera to pair to my NX5U (and later an EX1R or equiv). This camera will have multiple applications, including riding on an in-car mount and sitting on a tripod in desert, wind, rain conditions (with a cover, of course). I have a couple questions that I was hoping VG10/20 owners may be able to answer for me.

Application #1: Car Reviews
I do ride-and-drive events for my own series and need a camera that is lighter to travel with than my NX5U, but also can ride a light in-car mount (and by light, I mean a Filmtools kit with two 7" suctions, Matthews clamps and a crossbar) and, at the same time, be high enough quality to be usable for low-end broadcast.

I'll often be mounting this one on two suctions cross-braced between a passenger door and the windscreen (with option for a third leg). Will the optical stabilizer manage this without "chatter" on all but the harshest bumps? I have an old Canon HC10 and though we can make do with it on baby-smooth pavement, even the slightest roughness in the pavement makes the picture fall apart. I'll likely use the 16mm 2.8 lens in this application (or possibly the 18-55). If I can set the exposure to face detection (reliably) and lock the color, that would be an extra bonus.

Application: Motorsports
One thing that attracted me to this camera - in addition to the swappable lenses - is the ability to do 1080 at 60p. I shoot a lot of motorsports for various car makers and need the ability to slow shots on occasion. Here's an example of what I do: Ford Octane Academy - YouTube (I did the rallycross and truck shots in this particular commercial). The "money shot" of the truck jumping (1:01) was done at 720/60p with the NX5U. Anyhow, back on point, I want a b-roll camera that I can mostly set and forget for 20 minutes to an hour at a time. I'll likely lock it down to aim at a particular jump or corner then just start it before the course is hot. I've read that the VG20 has some unusual quirks. I want to start shooting at 1080 this year, and if I do that my NX5U can only do 30p. I'd like the VG20 to fill in the gaps, provide some slow-down effects and also be a backup camera if the NX5U has any issues on location. I have a XLR to mini adaptor with levels and my Sennheiser wireless system has a mini-plug adaptor... so the sound shouldn't be an issue. When it's running as a b-roll, I'll be using the built-in mic predominately (with a dead cat).

I know that's a lot to go over. Any input from owners would be appreciated. I'm not considering the NX70U at this time because I really don't want to spend more than $2k on this second system.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #36
Inner Circle

NEX-VG20 as part of a behavoural therapeutic toolset

I quote from a friend and colleague who works as a visiting contractor with high functioning autism spectrum disorder kids and teens using video cameras in social roleplays. These include the device of controlled action drama, which the participants devise if capable or act out from prepared script if not.

Currently they are using small handycam style camcorders but would like to add a little production value without the management of the tech becoming too demanding or distracting from the main task.

A replacement camcorder is being researched. It needs to be able to be set and forgotten as an observational tool, capable of being used creatively for workshop drama but simple to operate and finally to be used in another situation in real low budget film-making and auditions.

Here's the question and hopefully anyone who can constructively comment will be appreciated for their responses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK Filmy friends.....thinking about buying one of these......comments please :)

NEX-VG20E : Interchangeable Lens : Handycam® Camcorder : Sony Australia

Sony Home & Consumer Electronics : Sony Australia

Enjoy a level of creative freedom unimaginable with the use of interchangeable lenses. Its 16.1 Effective Megapixel Exmor™ APS HD CMOS sensor lets you record beautiful Full HD video with high-quality audio and with dramatic background defocusing effects...

( name deleted for professional confidentiality reasons ) but what do you think Bob ? and I really dont want a 7D, I want something that will just shoot good footage without the tech side of the 7D

Bob Hart ( reply )

I haven't had my greasy hands on one of the new generation single chip cams from Sony. I'll do a bit of reading and ask a few questions on dvinfo.net and get back to you or you can track the responses.

I think there may be an issue with older editing softwares with the new codec ( recording system ) it uses, which is why I need to check before I get too clever in my comments.

From what I can see, it will be a 35mm sensor camera which will confer a film-style look to your projects.

It will require a bit more techie management than your existing cam but I think will have a more familiar feel to use than the 7D.

It will not be quite as set and forget as the existing cam. You may need to manage light in the venue more diligently, which is I vaguely recall is something you intend anyway.

What "interchangable lenses" it uses, I would also need to look at.

They may be Sony's own ( Minolta derived ?? ) or there may be mount adaptors which allow stills camera lenses like Nikon and Canon to be fitted.

With the larger sensor, lens focus may require more diligent management than the small cams you currently use.

You need to toss up the easy utility of your existing cameras versus the closer to filmic look this one will confer and the distraction that managing it may impose on you.

The filmic look may in itself be attractive to some of your course participants.

Others may resist the increased visual attention selective focus will naturally direct at them in the replays of groups when focus is pulled to a selected individual.

This in itself it may present an additional conditioning or desensitising tool the program can examine and integrate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
END OF QUOTE.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #37
Regular Crew

The "H" in NEX-VG20H

I looked up the VG20 at B&H and never noticed the "H" in the model name.
Has that always been there or is this a new version? Wonder what's different?
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #38
Major Player

Re: The "H" in NEX-VG20H

NEX-VG20 - body only
NEX-VG20E - European (PAL) version
NEX-VG20H - with 18-200mm lens
NEX-VG20EH - PAL version with lens
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #39
Trustee

24p mode with no 1/24 shutter speed?

Just noticed this on my VG20.

When shooting in 24p mode, the closest manual shutter I can set is 1/25?

Strange,...where is 1/24 shutter speed?
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Line Output into VG 20 Microphone Input

Many external Devices have to much Voltage on the Line Output and overload the Input, so its not possible to Record the Sound undistorted.

Here's solution if you want to do it yourself
- 40 db works well tested with SONY PCM 50 D
Uneeda Audio - Build your own attenuator pads
Resistors 2 x 150 Ohm as Shunt at the output and 2 x 7.5 K Ohm in series from the Input

A Finished solution - 25 db Headphone Monitoring without delay!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750963-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZMH4_MON_3_5mm_Line_to_Mic.html
Attached Images

Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #41
Major Player

Re: 24p mode with no 1/24 shutter speed?

Chris B. already discussed this issue in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...harpening.html
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #42
Trustee

Problems w/ Baseplate?

Seeing some videos and threads over a vimeo regarding a weak tripod mounting plate/baseplate fro the VG10/20. Anyone here have any issues with this? Someone suggested using JB Weld (I'm assuming under the original baseplate).

I just bought the VG20, so any info I can get before I start strapping on the glass would be awesome...

Thanks!

Sort vid of making a template for a new baseplate:
baseplate.wmv - YouTube
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Re: Problems w/ Baseplate?

The video was from me.
I made this baseplates from 1mm aluminium, not a big problem. The only problem was to find the small screws. Here in Germany no problem but perhaps in the USA?
I show in the short film how to find the holes. I have both the VG10 and the 20, after the new plates I'm sure that the original baseplate will not brake away.
There were als baseplates sold by ebay in the usa.
The holes for the 10 and 20 are not the same.
Dirk Pel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #44
Trustee

Day 2 w/VG20

Well, I've a little more time w/ the VG20 and have some more observations:

- This camera is infinitely easier on batteries then DSLRs (or older video cameras). The camera comes with one NP-FV70 battery, which apparently is Sony's middle of the road power source for this type of camera. It came partially charged, and it took me quite a while to drain it all the way down. The battery life is shown as both a scale and a percentage, not a prediction of minutes left... which is just fine.

- With 2 NP-VF 70 batteries and a NP-VF 100 (the biggest battery available for this camera), you should be able to shoot all day and then some.

- The NP-VF100 goes for like $91 at B&H, an incredible value. My last "true" video camera (the JVC GY100) used batteries that cost nearly $1,000 and would last maybe 3 hours. Battery life on DSLRs even shorter for video use, so having such long shooting life is a blessing.

- Took about 6 hours to charge. Be aware that these batteries can be "fully charge" and "super fully charged," meaning if if leave it in the charger for about an extra hour after "fully charged" you'll gain some top end on battery life.

- I also received a 3rd party battery of the same power which works just fine (some reports of 3rd party batteries not working). This battery called "power 2000."

- It has peaking, an incredibly useful feature for focusing. Sometimes it's easier to use peaking rather than expand focus - particularly in bright light, of it your eyes are tired. Here, the VG20 offers not only different colors (I prefer red), it also has 2 levels of sensitivity - another nice feature. Most higher end cameras have this ability and it's a huge plus for this camera.

- Seriously, the peaking mode is nice.

- Screen grid overlays - not terribly useful here, as there's only one option, essentially breaking the screen into 3rds. Not TV safe overlays or the like.

- Histogram - another pro feature this camera has. Didn't play with it too much, but it's available and seemed to work fine. I tend not use them, but to some shooters it's an absolutely needed feature.

- Manual control - on the side of the camera is a "manual" button and right next to it, a wheel. You can assign one dedicated feature to the wheel (such as iris, whit balance, gain, shutter, etc), just spin the wheel and the value goes up or down accordingly. To use/access whatever control isn't already dedicated, just hold down the manual button and the camera puts the user into a menu allowing for full manual control (except for sharpening and contrast).

- You can only use/set these advanced manual modes (as well as mic/sound modes and cinetone setting) if the camera is set up to shoot/record.

While you can access the menu play in playback mode, you can't actually change any settings - apparently a way of preventing accidental changes. Sort of counter-intuitive really, but once you realize what's happening, it's no big deal.

- Using the wheel in conjunction with the touch screen, I found that I could get to any place in the menu very quickly. Again, some hate the touch screen, but I'm coming to like it quite a bit. Def faster then Canon DSLRs in which you must scroll through lots of stuff to get to whatever you're looking for.

- Of course, touch screens are more fragile and not so good in freezing weather, but in the end it does make it easier to get to what you want faster under most shooting conditions.

- 13 hrs - that's how long the VG20 can record straight according to the manual. Obviously, that should be long enough for practically any application.

- Playback - it's very easy to set the camera to playback everything on the card, w/o having to continuously hitting play - a very nice, simple, idea.

- Cinetone - The only other setting available other then "normal" mode. Makes images darker for sure, and perhaps reduces sharpening. May be useful, but I need to do a more detailed examination of this feature.

- 60p - seems to work just fine using 32gb class 10 Transend cards - some had reported that 60p didn't work using 32gb class 10 cards. All I can say is that they seem to work for me.

- The stereo mode works very well. Haven't tried using the 5.1 mode, other than to see if it works at all (it does). On board sound of this quality is a very nice bonus.

- Using an external mic does 2 things: A) it cuts off the on-board mic (which is too bad; it'd be nice to be able to assign each mic to a separate channel), and B) Adds a bit of a delay in the headphones. Not sure why this is happening, but it is a bit annoying. Doesn't affect the recording or ability to judge levels, but it's something I'd like to see in a firmware fix.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #45
New Boot

a winter night in my village

Sony VG20 + Sigma 30mm 1.4
No color correction

Antonin Baches is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900