Shooting with the NEX-5N at the beach at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old January 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Trustee

Shooting with the NEX-5N at the beach

Beach videos are difficult - glare makes using an lcd impossible, and there are both under- and over-exposure problems. This 108060p video shows that the NEX-5N has no exposure problems in shutter priority mode. With the evf add-on, there were no problems in focusing or viewing. And the 18-200mm lens had no problem focus tracking - walking gull and people, airplanes, speed boats, dogs retrieving, were no problem.

This is video straight from the camera (edited, of course for continuity) showing the good color performance. 108060p, 1/60th shutter, ND filter.

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting with the NEX-5N at the beach

Thanks for posting that Mark, nice work. I have the same setup. I agree totally with your observations. The big 18-200mm Zoom Lens (FS100 kit lens) stays on the little camera (looks a bit odd but it is easy to handle) for now and when the 1.8 50 prime becomes available I shall probably get that in order to enable really shallow DoF shooting. I also have the Tiffen variable ND 77mm filter (which cost $224 I might add) and is more than satisfactory. I shoot video at 60p at 125 fps manual mode and the lens as open as possible and control exposure, precisely, using the variable ND filter. Full auto is handy from time to time and I’ve no complaints regarding focusing or exposure under those shooting conditions. I find the image stabilization in the lens quite effective, not anywhere near as effective as the in-body stabilization in the CX700 or the HX100v but not too bad really. No clicking problem nor over-heating (didn’t expect that as this is the south island of New Zealand after all) and for the money I have to say the NEX 5n is a welcome addition to the video shooting kit.

I might upgrade to the VG20 or the FS100 in due course and I might not but I totally agree with Doug Jensen when he says (words to the effect) that the only reasons to go that route is if you are looking for shallow DoF or low light performance versus the EX1 which is my regular go-to workhorse.

One more point; the NEX 5n is an excellent still photography camera and in my opinion totally worthy of the huge reputation it already has in that regard. That alone justified the purchase for me.

The NEX 7, well, the tri-navi thing is quite appealing but other than that...I see no compelling reason really, for now.

Again, thanks for sharing your footage; much appreciated.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting the video. It is surprising to see NEX-5N in this environment can still perform well.
I've been NEX5 and lately also just purchase VG20.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 5N or 7, but I still learning about the overheat issue. I never had trouble of it with my NEX5.
Hope you don't mind I borrow the link of your video, for discussion on my thread :
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avc...at-issues.html

Thanks,

Setiawan
Setiawan Kartawidjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Nice vid Mark, hope you wiped the salt off the cam, working by the ocean still freaks me out after a tripod was eaten up. I run a dustbug after every location shoot now, then wipe everything down.

You could buy a mic foam pop filter and use a ladies elastic hair band to strap it right over the cam mic. Mine stops all wind short of a cyclone without losing any sound.

The variable ND filter is great and I also use a graduated ND filter in some situations, this one is great it drops the sky 2 stops to enable more detail
on the ground ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10460-REG/B_W_65_063820_77mm_Graduated_Neutral_Density.html

I marked its rim to see where the graduation starts to rotate it into position, when the ND is mounted on the cam inside the lens hood.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900