DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/)
-   -   You Tube and Vimeo -- types of upload (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nex-vg10-vg20-vg30-vg900/505612-you-tube-vimeo-types-upload.html)

Steve Mullen February 27th, 2012 02:50 AM

You Tube and Vimeo -- types of upload

8 Attachment(s)
Should you compare cameras using YouTube or Vimeo? Should you use either?

How should you upload?

I'm now working with FCP X which can SHARE to both using the Apple H.264 codec.

Is it worth exporting using the X264 codec before uploading?

Export to X264 at 18Mbps or 24Mbps?

If YouTube looks good to you -- my estimate is YouTube, viewed on a 63" HDTV, has only 60% to 75% of the resolution of AVCHD to a DVD. This explains why when I see VG10/VG20 camera tests on the web the cameras are SO soft compared to what I see at home!

Steve Mullen February 28th, 2012 03:14 AM

Re: You Tube and Vimeo -- types of upload

4 Attachment(s)
For those who noticed the shading difference between direct FCPX and export and upload of X264, I found that setting a Compressor Preset to:

RGB HIGHLIGHTS = -10%

RGB SHADOWS = +6 or if you prefer more compressed shadows, = 0%.

Looking at the vectorscope, the Preset nicely keeps peak white at 105% rather than 110%.

PS1: these data were obtained with a RGB SHADOWS = +7 which I've no cut back to +6 so blacks touch 0%.

PS 2: There would be nothing wrong in using 36Mbps.

Chris Barcellos February 29th, 2012 02:30 PM

I am on PC side, so can't help with exact settings in FCP, but if I am concerned about demonstrating a cameras capabilities and it is critical that my shots be as close to original footage as possible, I would upload to Vimeo, where the user can download the original footage as posted, and view it that way. Both Vimeo and YouTube process the video, and you can't help but experience issues. Furthermore, its seems like both do a lousy job of encoding 1920 x 1080 footage. Seem to play back choppy no matter how good my system is. That is why for most posts I will convert to 1280 x 720, which seems a lot better on playback for most purposes.

Steve Mullen February 29th, 2012 03:00 PM

I don't have much problem with 1080p24. But, I agree that 720p is much safer.

My reason for Utube is that my BD players can play Utube to my 63" HDTV. (I hate watching HD on a computer!)

BUT, the LG application has a serious problem. When you ask for Utube to be shown fullscreen, it simply upscales it! So the image is horrible! I assume it only grabs an SD version of a movie.

Can't remember if my Sony BD player does the same. (It is at my cabin.)

The newer LG BD player has a browser so it MIGHT be able to play an HD version. I sure wish NETFLIX or VUDU had a hosting service.

PS: I think Vimeo only keeps the source for a limited amount of time.

Mark Williams February 29th, 2012 05:36 PM

I had a lot of video playback issues on Youtube and Vimeo when using Firefox. Pretty well documented after I did some research. Best playback for me is with Internet Explorer 8. I encode for both with Tmpge4 - Windows Media Video, 2 pass CBR at around 15000 kb/s. Never have been able to get a decent encode with Quicktime. Too many inaccurate color and artifact issues.