Fast zoom lenses for the VG20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fast zoom lenses for the VG20

I was using a Sony HVR-Z5E camcorder and noticed how easy, smooth and fast the zoom was using the manual ring and so was the focus.

My current SEL1855 Lens is not pleasant to use when zooming in or focusing, in fact its quite resistant and requires an effort to zoom or focus. I plan to replace this lens with a better one but I wanted to know if there's any good lenses that the zoom is extremely smooth and fast with little effort required, it doesn't have to be a SEL lens since there are many adapters for the E mount system.

Any recommendations would be appreciated
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fast zoom lenses for the VG20

Chris,... just want to point out here that you have just discovered what many people don't realize when they move over to DSLRs from camcorders. Your SEL lens may be better or worse than average for photography lenses but photography lenses don't need the silky smooth zoom and focus rings that video does. Even my expensive Canon L lens can't hold a candle to any of my camcorder rings. This situation may change if lens makers start making lenses for DSLR video but don't expect them to be cheap photography lenses anymore. Good luck.

Last edited by Les Wilson; March 24th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3
HDV Cinema

And, when mounting DSLR lenses -- as the iris changes they will do so in steps. No smooth adjustment.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It depends what your are filming. Try a different workstyle, maybe zooming in and out is a bit to much and
for Run and Gun may be ok.
I often u se 2 camcorders one static wide to narrow and the other with the closer framing. Sometimes with fixed lenses 1.8 50 mm or 2.0 100 mm Fokus on the important things.

"You are certainly free to choose fear if you want to. That's all part of The Illusion."
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I recommend the use of a zoom or focus lever.

I use one similar to this
New Adjustable Flexible Gear Ring Belt for DSLR Follow Focus FF | eBay

I replaced the screw with a longer one 100mm M6

Its just like Super 8mm days!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Law View Post
I was using a Sony HVR-Z5E camcorder and noticed how easy, smooth and fast the zoom was using the manual ring and so was the focus.

My current SEL1855 Lens is not pleasant to use when zooming in or focusing, in fact its quite resistant and requires an effort to zoom or focus. I plan to replace this lens with a better one but I wanted to know if there's any good lenses that the zoom is extremely smooth and fast with little effort required, it doesn't have to be a SEL lens since there are many adapters for the E mount system.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900