Differences between vg-20 and vg-30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Differences between vg-20 and vg-30?

I know the power zoom lens is a big one, and I'm sure the oled viewfinder will be nice, but are there any other things to justify the huge price jump?

I honestly think I can be just as smooth as a motorized zoom with a manual zoom, so long as I'm on a tripod.

I can't find a list of all the enhancements on the vg-30. What else's there?

Thanks,
~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Differences between vg-20 and vg-30?

I believe even if you can do manual zoom well on the tripod the servo feature is still big. I've never found a native NEX lens or Sony Alpha DSLR lens that has as smooth and effortless zooming ring as the zoom ring on the built-in lens even on my low cost handycam camcorders such as the HC-1, FX-1 and lately NX-70 among others.

Whenever I use a DSLR or mirror-less interchangeable lens camera, first thing I always avoid is zooming while recording. No matter how hard I've tried, I could never make it look right compared to servo zooming on professional ENG lenses or on one of the above small cams.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morrissette View Post
I know the power zoom lens is a big one, and I'm sure the oled viewfinder will be nice, but are there any other things to justify the huge price jump?

I honestly think I can be just as smooth as a motorized zoom with a manual zoom, so long as I'm on a tripod.

I can't find a list of all the enhancements on the vg-30. What else's there?

Thanks,
~Jay
Viewfinder is a plus
VG 30 Swivel EVF 1.3cm (0.5 type) 2359kdots
VG 20 Swivel EVF 0.43 Xtra Fine w/ 1152K dots

It's a shame the absence of a Phase dedection chip like then NEX 6
The new Multishoe is a plus if you want to use the XLR Box and new feature is 2x Digital Zoom
Memory Stick Dual Mirroring Recording
http://www.sony.net/Products/memoryc.../px/index.html

http://vimeo.com/groups/nexvg20/forum/topic:255990

The 18-200 Power Zoom lens will be arround 1000 $ and works with all NEX cams

The existing 18-200 is a varifocal and the focus changes as you zoom. Will Sony be clever and add additional software to the power zoom lens to track the focus as you zoom, which in turn will need some form of back focus mechanism? Quote Alister Chapman

Last edited by Werner Graf; November 9th, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Another difference the new mike adapter with two xlr audio channels (SONY XLR-K1M) vertualy the same as whats on the NX30 & NX70 will fit the vg30 but not vg20 shoes are different its weather thats a problem.
Wilf Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf Davies View Post
Another difference the new mike adapter with two xlr audio channels (SONY XLR-K1M) vertualy the same as whats on the NX30 & NX70 will fit the vg30 but not vg20 shoes are different its weather thats a problem.
Sorry you mixing something
The XLR adapter (cable goes side away) for NX 30/70 are bundled and not compatlibe with other SONY Camcorders
It neary looks the same as XLR-K1M but it is not.

The first cameras to use the Multi Interface Shoe are the
SLT-A99, NEX-6, NEX-VG900, NEX-VG30 and DSC-RX1.

XLR-K1M ( cable straight back) Adapter is for the new Camcorders with MIS 780$

Sony Professional Accessories | XLR Adapter and Microphone Kit | XLR-K1M | Sony USA
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The XLR adapter would be great if- it were not so expensive, and the VG-30 recorded PCM. Bbeing both expensive and recording what amounts to an mp3 makes it a bad value to me.

The VG-20 is on sale at N&H right now. I might just go for it.

Can you guys think of any reason I should wait?

Thanks
~Jay
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi i have used all sorts of video cameras been filming for 30 years the vg 20 in my humble opinion is a great looking picture its sharp very vibrant and the shallow depth of field is great you would not go very wrong buying a vg20 thanks Wilf
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

it's done. I just ordered a small fortune on new toys. The VG-20, and an a77 + some lenses and filters.

does anyone want to buy some Nikon stuff?

thanks,
~Jay
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Niiice. As of today I'm planning to stick it out for the VG30 (sans lens, I already have some FD lenses and NEX adaptors I like) and keep my A77 for a duo. Seems to be a nice pairing. (and I'll rent an FS700 when really necessary).
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Aside from a better VF (the VG20 one is nice enough to me), the "new" shoe that is of course not compatible with the "old" Minolta flash shoe, but I think improves long term "compatibility", and all the consumer-y "modes" (which would be an easy firmware update to the 20), doesn't seem like there are a lot of compelling differences...

The VG20 is a nice camera, very "comfortable" if you're used to shooting Sony cameras - reminds me a bit of the old FX7/V1 handling wise, but very nice image quality and of course the full rez still capability. Will match up nicely with A65/A57 from what I can tell, may have to consider retiring one of the CX700's!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Major Player

I'd pay the difference just for the OLED viewfinder in the VG30. The other benefits are gravy.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Folks got a VG20 can't make my mind up weather to buy a VG30 or VG 900 I have read all the reviews on all the sites and i still can't make my mind up. Can i please ask a question will the SONY 24-70mm alpha F2.8 lens fit the VG30 useing an adapter if so what kind of image would i get against the VG30 stock lens. Thanks Wilf..
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sony’s LA-EA2 adapter runs around $350 so including the EA3 in the price of the camera package is a welcome benefit. But unlike the EA2, Sony’s Translucent Mirror Technology is not built into the adapter and since the VG900 does not contain it, you’ll need to shoot in manual focus when using the adapter with A-mount lenses for motion capture. (Translucent Mirror Technology directs light to the image sensor and AF sensor at the same time so autofocus is extremely fast.) Although professional film crews would never shoot with AF, having tested Phase Detect AF on previous Sony cameras, it’s amazing to be able to track a moving subject running towards the camera. For indie filmmakers working without a focus puller, it’s a very useful tool since achieving critical focus is one of the hardest skill sets to master. Another great function on the VG900 that you won’t find on most consumer cameras is Peaking, which you can apply in various increments, as well as colors.

Just read this artical if i have read it properly does this mean if i buy a vg900 and a 24-70 sony lens there is no auto focus at all' Thanks wilf.
Old November 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Major Player

FYI, the VG20 has been discounted by $500, body only is now under $1100, guess dealers are clearing them out in anticipation of the VG30 arriving this coming week.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf Davies View Post
Hi Folks got a VG20 can't make my mind up weather to buy a VG30 or VG 900 I have read all the reviews on all the sites and i still can't make my mind up. Can i please ask a question will the SONY 24-70mm alpha F2.8 lens fit the VG30 useing an adapter if so what kind of image would i get against the VG30 stock lens. Thanks Wilf..
If you use the 24-70mm F2.8 A mount lens it will show the full super wide 24mm FOV on the VG900 with the included full frame LA-EA3 A-E mount adapter compared the the APS-C VG30 that will crop the FOV by 1.5x equal to the FOV of a 36mm on FF. The 18-200 F3.5-F6.3 on the VG30 would be equal to a 27-300mm FOV on a full frame like the VG900 but since the 18-200mm is an APS-C lens you would need a full frame 28-300mm lens to have a comparable FOV and the 24-70mm on the VG900 would start at a wider FOV (24mm vs 27mm). BTW the VG900 has both a 1.5X crop APS-C mode and full frame mode. With the VG900 the Samyang 24mm and 35mm F1.4 full frame wide angles work very well.

VG900 with 35mm F1.4 :
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8...b0dbdbea_k.jpg
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900