Metabones speedbooster very tight fit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Metabones speedbooster very tight fit

My speedbooster is so tight I think i might break something if I tighten it. It's a good fit on my NEX EA50 and I swap lenses between EA50/VG20 no probs - any Speedbooster users have a similar problem?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Metabones speedbooster very tight fit

Well it is like that by design. The story was, there had been a number of people having difficulty with loose mounts with earlier Metabones products - you zoom or focus and the lens wiggles. This would not have been acceptable to cinematographers, especially those who use follow-focus outfits. So, the Speed Booster is designed with rigidity as the highest priority and because of that the mounts are very tight and could be harder to turn.

The fact of the matter is, neither the NEX mount nor the EF mount were anything like PL mount. They are well-suited for still photography (need to change lenses quickly on the run) but we shoe-horn it for video (but here rigidity is the most important).

If you find your mount too tight you might disassemble the front mount and flatten the leaf spring a little. This mod is relatively simple and you could customize your mount to your taste.
Bo-Ming Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Bo - i was a little 'firm' with it and it went on the VG20 - I do like this adapter - money well spent :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You may need to adjust the Speedbooster's back focus. Mine was a tight fit on the VG20 till I set the back focus, now it is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Metabones speedbooster very tight fit-dsc00351.jpg  
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900