Sony NXCAM -- Announcement Coming November 18th - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Sony need a better AVC variant codec or a EX compatible version of MPEG HD422 on SxS to really grab attention. Just going 24mbps AVCHD is IMHO not enough for a significant quality increase.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #47
Trustee

I'm not thrilled with the fact that it takes Memory Stick and not SDHC but I guess Sony has to go with their own format.

-Ethan Cooper
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Makes me wonder if Canon will go the same route when they replace their pro HDV line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #49
Regular Crew

hmm, i think Sony's AVCHD codec looks really good (i've seen it on the Sony HDR-XR520, it belongs to a friend of mine.) very sharp, can't say much about the color since the XR520 is a single chip.

I'm hoping this would look better with their 3 chip Exmor technology, although the 24mbps is inadequate imo. I hoped it'd at least be 35mbps. Guess there's always room for improvement!

First the EX1R, now the NXCAM, what next? :)
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #50
Major Player

I am not so exited about this cam. First of all AVCHD- not so great for any fast motion (better then HDV, but much worst then XDCAM), almost impossible to edit without transcoding, specially in FCP. Second- a 1/3" chip? Third is use of proprietary of Memory Stick. I think it will not be any different from HMC-150. IMO something between EX1 and HMC-150 (XDCAM codec) with a price range 3.5K would be a market killer.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

1/3rd-inch chips are just about the only way you can get a 20x lens at a reasonable price point. Larger chips equals bigger glass equals much more expensive. There has to be a trade-off somewhere, this is why the EX1 / EX1R with half-inch chips has only a 14x lens for $6,300. To get a long 20x lens under the $4K-$5K price point (assuming it's going to be at or below that amount) then 1/3rd-inch is the only way to do it.

Half-inch (or bigger) chips with 20x glass, that would be a much larger price tag and camera.

As far as Memory Stick is concerned, honestly who couldn't see that coming from Sony on an AVCHD camcorder.

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #52
Trustee

This looks like a hit to me. Sony is filling out their line with so many competent models, the buyer has so many choices. You can't make a bad one, but we've reached the point where you need to be careful that you get the features that are most important to you.

Appealing to me about this cam, as an EX1 user which can be unwieldly, this cam is suited for longer hand holding times, longer zooms, a strong codec, more cost effective solid state media.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Fully agreed, Tom... if you ask me, this (along with other NXCAM models to follow) is what will replace their HDV lineup.

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #54
Inner Circle

The standard def option is a nice addition.
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #55
Trustee

The Sony Z5 costs around $4,100 at B&H and I wouldn't be surprised if the street price for this NXCAM will be more than that.

At least their are some incentives over choosing the Sony such as the 20x lens and the fact that it'll be sharper. It may even be as sharp as the EX1 since the Panasonic HMC40 is already shockingly close. I'm talking if your shooting in places that has plenty of lighting by the way. The HMC150 does have it's own advantages such as price and lack of CMOS negatives. The more choices the better. Still, I wonder if Panasonic will announce an HMC150 replacement by January.

Canon may be making a ton of money selling the 7D and 5D Mark II but they still need to make a tape-less Professional camcorder or they will continue to miss out in that market. I hope we see something soon.
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #56
Regular Crew

NXCAM: YouTube - NXCAM1

NXCAM Prototyp PDF: http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/pdf/Genera...site=biz_en_GB
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #57
Major Player

If PVC's assertion that the lens and the sensor are identical to the Z5, I think its better to get a nanoflash or Kipro, instead of upgrading to the new camcorder.

Sony doesn't want to realize, that the control, once used to have in the market, is gone forever. The strategy of crippling the cheaper cameras, in order to protect the more expensive ones, isn't working anymore. They should realize it and implement High bitrate 422 codec through their range or they will give the capturing market to other players. They still have an edge on the front edge of the camera but they are far behind on the recording section. Their only line of defense is that the smaller players don't have market penetration or brand name to compete at the moment. Internet and time wil change that eventually.

More or less the same applies to Panasonic.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #58
Inner Circle

I read this news with relief and disappointment. Relief that my Sony EX3 and brand new Canon 7D are still the best tools for me in what I need right now/the immediate future. I'll be keeping my lovely new 7D! Disappointment that it's a AVCHD camcorder.

I've read that some of you think Sony's implementation of their 24Mbps AVCHD codec is good/better than HDV (which looks like a dying horse now, or so it seems) but I think they missed a trick. JVC have implemented the superb XDCAM EX codec in small form factor camcorder (with the added benefit of a widely used memory format) so why not Sony! As has already been stated, it just looks like Sony trying to segment the market into tiny little product niches. Sure, choice is good but we want the Rolls Royce at a Skoda price now (or insert car brands of your choice!).
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #59
Regular Crew

NXCAM teaser: YouTube - NXCAM teaserSonylogoH 264720x405 :-(
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #60
Major Player

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE CAM AT InterBEE 09

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE CAM AT InterBEE 09

[InterBEE 09] Sony to release new AVCHD Camcorder, the NXCAM : Akihabara News .com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders