Sony NXCAM -- Announcement Coming November 18th at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NXCAM -- Announcement Coming November 18th

Note from Admin: Skip ahead to post #35 if you want to bypass all the speculation and go straight to the real thing.

Inter BEE 2009
All the latest news coming soon...

Sony : Sony news from Inter BEE 2009 : United Kingdom

On November 18th, Sony will be announcing another exciting new development for the professional videography market. The official announcement will take place during a Sony press conference at the Inter BEE event in Chiba City, Japan, and all the latest news from the event will appear on this website. Return here on November 18th or subscribe to our RSS feed to get the breaking news as it happens. Product prototypes will also be available for demonstration at selected Power Of Images events in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. To register your interest in these events, please visit the Power Of Images website now.

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/images/ima...7476931724.jpg
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Based on that "graphic": probably a solid state AVCHD 3-chip cam.......wonder??????
Or better yet- finally a HD capable Alpha DSLR!

Last edited by Steve Nunez; November 14th, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Retro DVCAM?
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Hdv cam that uses sxs or compact flash cards?
Old November 14th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

compact flash cards from Sony?
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Trustee

I would hope it's a GH1 competitor. That will at least increase the chances of Panasonic giving GH1 users a good firmware update.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

All the rumours on the web are that it WILL BE a GH1 competitor, i.e a HD video capable DSLR. I posted about this yesterday in Area 51 (which is where I thought speculation should be posted, not in this News Section) ...but now I see my post has been removed by the Mods. No idea why!
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry Andy, it was withdrawn by policy -- absolutely no "camera rumor site" links are tolerated here, not even in Area 51. We're not in the business of driving traffic to those types of web sites. They bear absolutely no credence whatsoever and they're worse than useless, and not appropriate for DV Info Net at all. Meanwhile Wolfgang's source above is straight from Sony and is therefore perfectly legitimate, which is what we prefer to see here. Plus, Wolfgang's source is *news* and not a rumor, therefore it certainly belongs in this forum. Thanks for understanding.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

OK, got it Chris - No problem! Thanks for clarification.
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
All the rumours on the web are that it WILL BE a GH1 competitor, i.e a HD video capable DSLR.
The first sentence on the Sony web page says "On November 18th, Sony will be announcing another exciting new development for the professional videography market."

That makes me think it's primarily designed for video use. If it was a DSLR with video capability, would they have been so specific about "professional videography market"?

My money would be on a solid state camcorder priced below the Ex1. Something like a solid state only Z5.
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You may well be right...but don't forget that people are using Lumix GH1s and Canon 5D/7Ds for professional use already (me included!) so it would n't rule out that type of offering either (under the "professional" label).

After all, I would not be surprised if Sony were losing some camcorder sales to this new area in camera technology/capability/price point and so would try and re-capture some sales back from Panasonic & Canon.

None of us know right now (and anyone who does will have signed a NDA so won't tell) but it'll sure be interesting to see what gets announced on the 18th!
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm with David on this one. It seems like the next step. Something in quality between the Z7/5's and EX1/3's that records only to some kind of memory cards. I just hope it is in the $3500 price point. I'm getting close to selling my Z7U's and getting something new. I'm also glad that they announced the announcement with only a few days to wait. I hate the "We have something really cool to show you......in 3 months" announcements.
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Well, the image is obviously a "video camera" format, so perhaps a HMC150 competitor, "R" sensors, AVCHD and MS Duo (it is Sony after all) or HDD recording or both...

WOULD be nice to see a DSLR-V as well... long overdue, on both counts!
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #14
Trustee

A GH1 competitor or a Mini EX1 using the XDCAM codec(since Sony doesn't consider AVCHD professional) would be good guesses but I remember when the EX3 first came out, a lot of people complained a lot after buying the EX1 so maybe Sony doesn’t want the same thing to happen again and announce an EX3R right away.
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
None of us know right now (and anyone who does will have signed a NDA so won't tell) but it'll sure be interesting to see what gets announced on the 18th!
All I can say is that some of the speculations in this thread are more accurate than others. I think a lot of folks will be pleased with what's coming, but that's just my opinion.

-gb-
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders