DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Slow Motion Record (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/473510-slow-motion-record.html)

Ladd Bodem March 6th, 2010 11:44 AM

Very cool. Thanks.

Tom Hardwick June 13th, 2010 11:48 AM

I know Sony say the 6 and 12 second takes in slo-mo degrade the image more and more, but why should this be so - does anybody know? The three time-lengths all use the same frame rate.

I see the shutter speed is bumped up quite a lot (1/215th slowest - no limit shorter), so it does mean you need good light for filming slo-mo. Also there's a tiny zoom-in when you switch to slo-mo filming, anyone else noticed this (like when you add the extra OIS, but less severe).

tom.

Stephen Pinchback June 13th, 2010 06:24 PM

I only stick with the 3 sec slowmo because the quality does get noticeably worst with the 12 and 6 sec options.

John Wiley June 13th, 2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1537987)
I know Sony say the 6 and 12 second takes in slo-mo degrade the image more and more, but why should this be so - does anybody know? The three time-lengths all use the same frame rate.

tom.

Most likely it is due to the size of the cameras buffer. In smooth slow motion the info can't be written to card in realtime because there is too much data, so it gets stored in the internal buffer. Because the buffer size cannot change, and the frame rate is the same in all three modes, as the length of recording increases, the resolution decreases to give the same amount of data.

It's similar to how some DSLR's work. With my Pentax K-X, shooting at 12mp, I can shoot a constant burst at about 4.5fps for about 2.5 seconds. If I lower the resolution to 2mp, I can shoot a constant burst for up to 6-7 seconds before the buffer fills up.

Tom Hardwick June 28th, 2011 01:39 PM

Re: Slow Motion Record

I do love the NX5's slo-mo, and have just noticed an interesting fact. When you switch to any of the slo-mo time-frames (3, 6 or 12 secs) the camera always jumps out of the 'Active' Steadyshot mode. I guess this is to retain as much image quality as is possible in these modes.

tom.

Ron Evans June 28th, 2011 01:41 PM

Active steadyshot uses memory that it needs for the slowmotion buffer ?

Ron Evans

Serggio Lamas July 2nd, 2011 05:24 PM

whats the best setting for rec slowmotion movie with glidetrak 3,6, or 12 sec and what sooter speed?

Tom Hardwick July 3rd, 2011 06:41 AM

The slow motion loses more and more quality the longer you record, so I only ever use the 3 secs.
The default shutter speed of 1/215th sec is the one to use.

Tom Hardwick February 16th, 2012 07:58 AM

In a previous post I was saying how easy it was to do hand-held tracking shots with the NX5 in its slo-mo mode using long telephoto settings. I've used this on wedding films for 'first time successful' shots of flowers, table decorations and so on.

Here's some very short examples pulled straight from the SDHC card (so are mute).

20110820004927 - YouTube
20110820005014.m2ts - YouTube
20110820005014.m2ts - YouTube
tom.

Mike Trewhella February 16th, 2012 03:26 PM

Hi Tom,
I really like the way you have your NX5 set up. I love the sharpness and colours. Would you be prepared to share your profile settings.?
regards
Mike