NO Timecode importing into CS4 or Vegas 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1
New Boot

NO Timecode importing into CS4 or Vegas 9

I am having issues with the NX5U footage importing with timecode into either Adobe premiere cs4 or Vegas 9. I first import footage with Sony's Content Management Utility. Then when either I drag and drop or import from the programs the timecode is set to 0 for the in point and only runs the duration of the clip. On the camera during playback the timecode is there. Settings are TC format-DF/ TC RUN- REC RUN/ TC MAKE - Regenerate (note: tried preset too and didn't work) / UB TIME REC- OFF/ Maybe I am doing something wrong but wanted to get opinions. Thank You Todd
Todd Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The issue is with your camera settings.

Instead of Rec Run, you want Free Run.

That will start the clock going from 0 or the preset time, then, it keep runnining whether you're recording or not. Which is what you want if you're doing any sort of sync to TC position, or Time-of-Day TC, etc.

I'm not that familiar with this cam, but, this is standard across Sony cameras.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3
New Boot

free run

free run doesn't do it, still no timecode, I want consecutive timecode anyhow like the tape days it's for single camera shoots. Does anyone else have this camera? Are you getting timecode? If so what settings are you using?
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Has nothing to do with your settings in the cam -- it's a Premiere issue. Same problem importing from the MRC1k with Z5U footage. Timecode comes over fine if you capture from tape (with tape-based cams, obviously), but not card. Something to do with how the TC header is formatted in file-based clips -- if it also doesn't work in Vegas it must be how Sony writes the files. Sorry to hear this wasn't fixed in CS4. Maybe CS5 will address this issue.

Adobe's brilliant solution is to manually change the TC in the clip, which of course defeats the whole purpose.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No its not the camera. I can't get Vegas to recognise the timecode either( doesn't see it correctly from the XR500 or SR11 either so its not just the NX5U !!!!) but Edius sees the timecode correctly from all these AVCHD cams.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Edius worked!

All the timecode was there in Edius. I was going crazy. Too bad it doesn't work in Premiere since I own that. Kind of plays choppy on my 8gb 2.4 quad core. Another $650 out the window. Any coupons for this?
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

There was a thread a few months ago about AVCHD timecode on the Premiere forum. The conclusion was that Premiere did not support timecode because it was not part of the official spec ...

Adobe Forums: AVCHD timecode issue
Colin Browell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I hear ya'. I have a dedicated Edius system and it's beyond wonderful. Once I tweaked some things, everything with this camera is realtime and finally works like it should and always does. Premiere is another story but oh well....lpcm audio isn't supported apparently, and timecode is lost regardless. Go with Edius; less frustration!
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #9
New Boot

Edius plays a bit choppy and needs to be rendered then it plays fine, I am using 24p footage, what tweeks would work best with the NX5U footage?
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Edius Neo will play AVCHD realtime without any rendering and the same booster technology will be in the Edius 5.5 update in April. With the ability to sync timecode on the NX5U looks like Edius will be one of the only NLE's to be able to use this feature in multicam sync.
My Q9450 is a little slow for native file editing but will scrub the timeline OK. I have converted Canopus HQ most of the time as this presents a small load on the PC for multicam editing.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders