Data Error message at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Data Error message

I've got two NXCAM cameras and have been shooting with them.

With the fist one, I've shot SD on a SDHC (Panasonic 16gb type 10) card for more than 24 hrs and did not encountered any problems.

With the second one, I've shot 720 60p on a SDHC (Sandisk 8gb) card and suddendly, after 30 minutes of shooting, had a "data error" message. No clue, of what happened. I changed the Sandisk SDHC with the Panasonic card and had the same problem appearing when pushing the record button.

I've turned off/on and started recording without a problem. I've shot over 100 small video sequence after restarting the camera and the problem did not occured.

I've got no idea of the problem but would like to know if someone had the same problem.

The only differences in setup for the camera are the following:
- Camera 1 shooting SD (SDHC 16gb Panasonic Type 10) output 48060si - no problems
- Camera 2 shooting SD (Sandisk 8gb) 720 60p, steadyshot active - data error problem

I am VERY pleased with the quality of the image I am getting from my cameras but I need to make sure I can count on it.

I am not shooting on SDHC and 128 FMU simultaniously yet and I will soon.

Regards!
Daniel
Daniel Paquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

what class of 8GB SD card were you using? You only gave the capacity.

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I also have 2 NX5Us and have just started testing. No problems yet. I have the FMU-128 and I also have one Patriot 32gig SDHC class 6 card. I've done some recording to both units but mainly just to the 128.

I've ordered 4 16gb Sony Pro Duo cards because it seems to just make sense to me to put Sony media into a Sony cam.

What do you think? It seems like most people (including me initially) have been going the SDHC route, but I'm not sure that makes sense. I'm also thinking that once I become comfortable that the cam is solid, recording to two different storage media might be overkill. The FMU-128 holds 11 or 12 hours!
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the NX5 and use only MS Pro Duo and MS Pro-HG Duo HX, no problems until now. I filled up all media twice. I think MS media has better r/w speed than SDHC class 10 cards.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

In response to Adams questions I cannot say which type of 8gb SDHC card I've got. I've bought it 12 to 16 months ago, I am pretty sure it's not a type 10.

I also bought two 8gb Sony MS Pro-HG Duo as backup for each cameras.

Then allo together, I will have in all time on each cameras : One Panasonic 16gb class 10, one 8gb Sony MS Pro-HG and one FMU-128.

I require to shoot, in all time, SD on the SDHC cards and HD on the FMU-128.

I will be doing further test this week.

I hope this "data error" message was just a "fluke".

Unfortunately, the camera was not connected to a monitor at the time. Hopefully, the message does not appear on the monitor but only on the camera LCD. I always record on a Pioneer HDD using the composite as input. Therefore, if the message appears only on the camera LCD, there is only little damage. It's sure is not best quality but at least the video has been recorded.

If the error message appears on the monitor I am really in big problem.

Will look for this in the future.

Regards!
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

error

Daniel, about your question regarding the error on my card, at that time I was just doing tests, I left the camera recording on the tripod, just checking from time to time. In the middle of a 8gb card I saw the error on the screen. At first I was worried but I remembered I read about worse errors on Panasonic HMC150 and then I recorded a few times on that card and it didn't happened again. I didn't pay much attention to the settings of the camera.
I thought it didn't deserve to be mentioned here, to scare people for nothing. Much more serious is the buffer overflow problem.
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've not come across an error on any of my Panasonic cards Class (6) with the NX5U. Did come across this error while using my HMC70. Since that error occured I always reformat my cards after every use. No error to speak about since.

As a rule alway format new cards and do it in the camera.
Abraham Texidor Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Record full-quality HD to BOTH the SDHC AND the FMU128 device....then see if you have the error. If you're recording HD to the SDHC and SD to the FMU128, it may not actually happen.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Updated

~see new posting
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

data error

This is not about the buffer overflow so i think it goes best here.
Some time ago Adam posted a thread about his buffer overflow problem on another forum (dvx...) and somebody I know (located in Ireland) replied that he had a similar problem, but more like an error on the card.
I recommended him to read this forum and post here, he read it but is pretty busy so I will paste here the important part of the message since on that forum there are no development on this matter: "I was filming this morning to do a proper test of the NX5E camcorder while recording on both memory card (8Gb Sony Pro Duo Mark 2 that came with the camcorder) and the FMU. I did a few shots and suddenly, a message appeared on the screen: " card A failure" or something similar but it wasn't the "buffer overrun" or anything to do with buffer like adamwelz described above. The thing is that the camcorder was still recording on the FMU while the message was blinking on screen. I decide to stop the recording and as soon as I pressed the button, the camera started to reboot. It took about 30 sec to reboot and it was grant for another few shoots (then the rain starts and I had to leave without further testing). While rebooting it automatically recovered the footage and everything seemed back to normal. "
Later we exchanged some messages, he went to film a weddding with his NX5 and he told me that he recorded only on FMU and had no problems. He wrote to Sony but hadn't recieved any answer yet.

Ah, two more things we both noticed:
-there is a small noise in the back of the camera (I hear it when I close my ear on the NXCAM marking area) like a fan or something like that
-the camera warms up between the main Rec button and the place of the FMU
Anyone else noticed that?
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The time I've got the Data Error Message I was only recording HD on my Panasonic 16G class 10 card.

I did not have a FMU at that time. In reading the information in FCP I was recording 1280 x 720 59,94ips.

I shot for about 8 hours in SD format on the Panasonic card and everything was correct.

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders