NX5U suitability for shooting stage shows and dance presentations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U suitability for shooting stage shows and dance presentations

I'm looking at how suitable the NX5U is for shooting dramatic plays (which can have areas of dark with actors in a spotlight) and dance...which can at times have moody and dark lighting. From what I seem to be hearing on the Internet, the -3db setting on this camera may be equal to 0db on other cameras. In the past my old Sony PD-150 had sufficient low light quality for me to capture these presentations with a minimum of noise. I am wondering how the NX5U will hold up for the same kind of shows. Noise in the blacks is an area of concern.

For those that may have shot these kind of stage shows with the NX5U, I would greatly appreciate hearing how clean your images are and what you've been using for your gain settings.

Many thanks,

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just came back from shooting the final dress of the musical we are shooting Friday and Saturday, using 4 Z5s, which are, overall, quite similar. They're great and can virtually see in the dark. It's almost noiseless up to 9dB of gain. Spotlight mode helps. I would think the NX5 performs similarly.

I tend to crush the blacks so the cam doesn't try to lift them into a noisy grey. Others do the opposite.

Last edited by Adam Gold; March 10th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders