After spending some time with the NX5U, I think it's great! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle

There is time code you just have to edit on the PC with EDIUS.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

Give it time, I'm sure a FCP update will fix it.

heath
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Ron, if I get a chance I'll download the trial and check it out. Though I'm still trying to get used to FCP. For sure I'll upgrade my Avid Xpress to Media Composer after NAB.

Heath, I hear you, but there's no way I would buy a camera hoping that Apple (or Avid) will fix a basic issue like timecode being carried over with importing a clip. I mean, that's just a bizarre limitation.

It makes it look like NXCAM is viewed as a consumer format only.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes Heath, I am sure they will all accept the time code in due course.

It isn't the cameras fault it writes timecode and for me using Edius there are no problems( at least when I get the 5.5 update in a few weeks for realtime playback!!!! Neo does it now in realtime. Edius Pro 5.5 in a few weeks at NAB for the full version with full multicam edit)

Ron Evans
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Vito. I use Edius 5.12 which recognizes the time code but on my Q9450 will not play in realtime. Others with i7's say it will play realtime. Edius Neo Booster 2.5 will play up to 3 tracks in realtime and the same technology will be introduced into an Edius 5.5 upgrade at NAB. Neo does not have some of the Pro codecs and does not do multicam included in the full version.
Edius multicam will auto assemble based on timecode and real name/numbers on the timeline for multicam editing and with the NX5U's timecode sync function will be a very useful capability.

Ron Evans
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #21
Trustee

Ron, do you mean that Edius imports the native clip with no transcoding, and that it contains the timecode of the original clip? I would guess that if you then chose to transcode (for performance reasons) in Edius, it would retain correct timecode.

My understanding of the problem in FCP is that the clip is being transcoded to ProRes on import, and the resulting ProRes clip does not have the correct timecode.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Vito,

In FCP 7, that is correct. The one saving grace (until the update) is the resulting video clips are called "Clip #1, Clip #2," etc. This can help out with paper edits--you can log the clip names with the timecode.

Heath
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #23
Trustee

Thanks for the info guys.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I use the Sony Content Management software that came with the NX5U to transfer the clips to the PC. These come over as clips NOT FAT 32 files so a 1 hour clip comes over as 1 native AVCHD file with timecode. Edius Neo or Edius Pro will read these files native with timecode and will use these for editing without transcoding. Neo Booster 2.5 will do this realtime now( 3 tracks with an i7 processor) and this same technology is due in Edius Pro with the 5.5 update due in a few weeks. I can use native AVCHD on my Edius 5.12 timeline and scrub the time line but it will only play for a few second before stopping as my Q9450 is just not fast enough.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders