If you are experiencing the buffering problem, read/post here only at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

If you are experiencing the buffering problem, read/post here only

Just spoke with Product Development with Sony.....I need to do a bunch of testing to prove consistency with the issues, which have all been documented with Sony.

For EVERYONE having this problem, post back if you have had this problem with the following (where "SDHC is either that or MemoryStick):

1> SDHC (HD) only
OR
2> SDHC (HD) AND FMU (HD)
OR
3> SDHC (HD) AND FMU (SD)
OR
4> SDHC (SD) AND FMU (HD)
OR
5> FMU ONLY (and in what format)
*>As the SDHC/MemoryStick option only allows a variety of HD -and not SD- to be recorded, note which format/framerate, etc. that is being used (HQ, FX, etc...)
*> ALSO NOTE IF YOU'RE RECORDING IN LPCM OR DOLBY FOR AUDIO

I don't care about battery, GPS, LCD, or whatever else...ONLY to the above and with that, note the Manufacturer, size, and speed of the SDHC/MemoryStick cards that you are using.

Last edited by Marshall Levy; March 25th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #2
New Boot

My conditions:

SDHC (HD) AND FMU128 (HD)
LPCM
Panasonic 16 GB Class 10

Brian
Brian Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Marshall

I've only experienced the problems in context 2, recording HD to both an SDHC card and the FMU128.

SDHC card brands: 16 GB SanDisk Extreme Class 10 & 32 GB Kingston Class 4

Always with PCM audio -- never Dolby

Cheers

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Marshall,

What about
4> SDHC (SD) AND FMU (HD)
5> SDHC (SD)

This is exactly how I've set up my two cameras. I would be interested in knowing if any who had this setup experienced any problems. I would hope not being the case, however, those options are valid ones and should be considered.

Unless, you or someone from Sony are absolutely sure, that any of these two setup would not cause a buffer overflow or data error.

If someone can guarantee this to me, I am in business. I no longer have to worry. In 99.9% of the cases I do not have any intention to record HD on SDHC card and SD on FUM128 flash drive.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Marshall,

How could I send you an email?
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mine was option 2:

SDHC (HD) AND FMU128 (HD)
Kindgston 16 gb class 4 SD Card
dolby digital audio
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #7
New Boot

Mine was option 2

SDHC (HD) and FMU (HD)

1080/30p, dolby audio, rec button set to record on both the FMU and card, slot A was in use, custom profile 2

Davis
Fred Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Has anyone heard any resolution to this yet, I am getting close to an event, and I don't want this happen again, as it will cost me money. Sounds like it is starting to happen to new people too.
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Still awaiting a resolution of sorts. I've been testing my cameras under different recording conditions and while the error has happened now 4 times, it's extremely sporadic with regards to the frequency that it takes place and the duration of recording to that of the error appearing.

I'll post back as soon as I know an update, but for the time being, just be careful when recording to both the cards and the FMU128.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
New Boot

Have you been able to get the error to occurr when recording a combo of SD and HD, or have you been recording HD to both SDHC and FMU?

I taped an event last week - replaced the SDHC card with memory stick and recorded SD to it with HD going to the FMU - no problems. Not ideal but hopefully safe.
Brian Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

buffer overflow can also happen with MemoryStick!

Hi All

Having been buffer overflow-free for over 2 weeks now, and shooting a LOT every day, I thought I'd dodged the bullet -- I have been doing MEDIA EMPTY operations on all my media every now and then, and using a MemoryStick as my primary slot media instead of SDHC, with the understanding that buffer overflow-and-freezes only happened with SDHC cards.

Anyhow, today, less than ten seconds into a shot I got a buffer overflow while recording to a MemoryStick and the FMU128 simultaneously. I had a complete freeze and had to take the battery off the camera to get anywhere. When I powered back up again I went through the clip recovery process for the FMU and the MemoryStick, but the clip was NOT recovered.

This is bad!

My specs: Recording to FMU + Sony MemoryStick PRO-HG Duo 16GB, 25 fps prog scan FX footage to both, LPCM audio.

Adam
Adam Welz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried checking their FMU128 for bad sectors? Since it's happening with a variety of SD cards as well as MemorySticks, the FMU128 looks more suspect. I just got my NX5U but I don't have the FMU128 yet so I'm not sure how it works, but if it's mounting as a normal USB drive on your computer then checking for bad sectors should be easy enough.

In Windows just right click on the FMU128 in My Computer and open Properties. Then under Tools choose Error Checking (be sure and select the option to scan for bad sectors).

On the Mac I think you need a third party utility like TechTool Pro (do a Surface Scan).

If it detects bad sectors then I would write zeros to the entire drive (this isn't a bad idea to do from time to time anyway on any drive you use a lot). I'm not sure if you can write zeros with Windows' built-in utilities but you can do it on a Mac using Disk Utility. Select the drive then in the Erase tab open Security Options and choose Zero out data. Choose FAT32 for the Format (you'll have to reformat again on the camera).

For those on a Mac without a way to check for bad sectors, I would just write zeros to it. But it would be good to know if anyone actually finds bad sectors.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I expect the "Media Empty" command on the camera writes to all locations to ensure no data is left for recovery by another user, as described in the manual( page 65).

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes, the Media Empty function probably zero outs data. Has anyone done this on their FMU128 and still had the problem?
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well I talked to sony yesterday, got a much better response from them this time, they are looking into this, and trying to figure out what is going on, so that is good, but really have nothing to offer at this point. It was suggested that if the camera locks up, to hit the reset button on the control panel under the LCD, it is a recessed button and you need a paper clip or something to hit it. I was told this may speed up the recovery time to get us up and recording sooner. Hopefully they can get this figured out soon.

Now, I am trying to find a "safe" recording manor. I know that everyone that has had it happen had it happen when recording HD to both the FMU and SD card. Is this because that is the main way people are recording. Has anyone used the camera extensively recording in a different manor. I don't really need 2 copies of what is being recorded, so if just recording to the FMU, or to an SD card is much safer, that is the way I will do it. I just really like the idea of a back up and once I have a copy I can delete the duplicate.

Ryan
Ryan Mason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders