Should i buy HDR-AX2000 or HXR-NX5U? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old September 7th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #16
New Boot

nx5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
Andrew --

5. The NX5u can shoot 720p/60 (or 720p/50 in PAL countries). This combination of frame rate and resolution seems to do a particularly nice job with fast motion video such as sports and dance performances. However, with my multi-cam shoots, my other cameras only shoot 1080i/HDV, my customers mostly want regular DVDs and, in any event, it doesn’t look like any of my software would allow me to burn a Blue-Ray disk at 720p. (Is that even part of the Blue-Ray specs?) For me, 720p/60, like the extra microphone, is not something I would use very much.

In reference to the above mentioned quote... does shooting in 720 6oP a nicer format than the AX2000's 1080 30P ?? Im not all that familiar with comparing these two, and your input would be great!

thanks
Andrew Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Andrew,

"Nicer" seems like such a subjective term that I'm not quite sure what you have in mind. Nicer for who to shoot what kind of video for what audience?

Here's what I see as the basic difference. 720/30p is 30 frames per minute. Some people who like their video to have a "film" look like 720/30p. Others like it when they are shooting other cams with 720/30p like some of the DSLRs.

On the other hand, 720/60p is sixty full frames per second. This means you get a smoother reproduction of fast motion and less tendency for juddering images when you pan the camera. A lot of pro-sports games are televised in 720p/60 for this reason. Some dance videographers also like 720p/60 for the same reason.

As I recall, Ron Evans has a number of detailed posts on the pros and cons of these frame rates. Here is one.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...raid-720p.html
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
Andrew,

...720/30p is 30 frames per minute
It would be nice if AX/NX had the ability to shoot 30 frames per minute, Everybody likes timelapse, right?
I know you meam "per second" but I remembered why I hate Sony: for ripping some nice features from these cameras.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Far better to timelapse in post I find - that way you can vary the frame rate to suit the subject and tempo of the film. Shoot in HDV mode and a 16gig card will last 6¼ hours running continuously.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders