Impressions Of NX5U After Two Weeks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

You're right, John! I remember talking to my friends and colleagues when some fancy, sub-$5,000 HD camera came out, and we'd be excited. Then we'd criticize why the camera didn't have 24p, why it had 1/4" sensors, etc. Then we'd remember... it's a sub-$5,000 camera; a lot of money to be sure, but it isn't an F900r.

Heath
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Pretty sure he's talking about a DVX100B, Heath.
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

DVX100B

I shot a scene two nights ago using both cameras. Motorcycle fatal off a freeway overpass.

I started editing it but I have to go now and try to make some money. Should have it done by tomorrow. Two cameras side by side in the same frame. The DVX was manual and the Sony in auto so you'll have to keep that in mind. Both were SD with one 100 watt mini fill ea. Stay tuned in for news at eleven?

John
John Mulvihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks for the update, John. I loved the DVX100a and b, though I sometimes scratched my head at some of the (minor) changes between the two, like how tapes pop out.

I only had the NX5U for a week, and I thought it was a fabulous camera, albeit with it's faults. And it's probably not fair that I use an EX1 regularly, but the NX5U is a great camera if you're looking for a tapeless HD camera (Sony or otherwise) and don't want to spend more than $4-5,000.

Heath
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Here is my not so scientific comparison of the DVX100B vs NX5U. Last night was very busy (3 shot w/1 dead & freeway gas tanker truck fire) so I did not have a chance to do a real same same comparison between the two cameras.

The DVX I can adjust in my sleep. The NX5U I fumble in the light to adjust with the manual open. At times in this video I am running 200 watts of on camera lighting mostly with the DVX. I shot with two cameras at this scene because of ingest, focus and any other NX5U issue. The DVX was my insurance policy. As time permits I will do a side by side same same settings test between these to cameras.

YouTube - Sony NX5U vs Panasonic DVX100B 04/08/10

Sony NX5U was on full auto @ 21db

Panasonic DVX100B on Manual ex/focus @ 12db

Stay tuned?

John
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

21 vs 12 dB? Over a million tiny pixels on a 1/3" chip (three of those) vs. a few hundred thousand larger pixels on the same size chips. DV cameras like the DVX100B will always win out there.

Heath
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Heath, I never said it was a fair test. More of a "preview of more (fair) test to come".

John
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #23
Major Player

I have the NX5, and this got me thinking about the pani 150 being my 2nd cam. Would it match
up in a wedding scenario? Then I could use it at reception and not worry about rolling shutter.

Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

John,

Of course, but the low light sensitivity of the NX5U isn't as good as an HD camera with bigger sensors, or a DV camera. I really love the DVX100 series, and they just rocked in low light!

I've compared (didn't record, sorry) the EX1 and NX5U in low light, and the EX1 won hands down.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders