NX5u and low light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5u and low light

Hey Guys,
So I have been really, really studying the nx5u because I'm only about a month away from purchasing it and want to make sure It is what I REALLY want. Basically my plans are to do weddings, documentarys, shorts, and events. Most of these will require low light shooting. So, I have seen mixed reviews about the performance of the camera in low light. For example, in the reviews on B&H, half the people said bad in low light and the other half said good. Does this mean that half the people are satisfied with bad quality, or that half the people can not properly operate the camera?? Thanks! -Nick

PS... I do not have a higher camera budget then the $4000 that it costs, so a more expensive camera for better performance is out of the question.
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #2
New Boot

Nick,

I wouldn't worry too much about the low light capabilities of this camera. I shoot and edit video professionally at my job, but also do events, weddings, etc. So far I have found that the NX5U does a great job in low light. I read those reviews on B&H too and was surprised to see people complaining. I mean, it probably won't give you the quality of the 1/2" sensors in the EX1, but I've never used that camera so I can't compare. As far as I'm concerned, the NX5U is excellent in low light and I couldn't ask for anything more in a camera priced at $4,000.

As an example, I was at the zoo over the weekend and have been taking the camera with me everywhere. In the bat exhibit the lighting is extremely low and I was surprised at the shots I was able to record. Even my wife was shocked at how well it turned out. Using 9db gain and opening the iris all the way, there was barely any noise in the image and the shots of the exhibit looked great.
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello Nick.

This camera does a better job in low light conditions than the Z1U. The gain is just a little bit notorious, in my opinion, anywhere over 9dB.

Here are my first tests: YouTube - Prueba con la NX5N

Notice I have the NX5N, but it's basically just the same camera but the latin american version .
Ignacio Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, and that video really shows off the quality!
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

As a follow up to this thread, I have received my NX5u, and in all honesty i am 100%..................... IMPRESSED WITH THE LOW LIGHT CAPABILITIES!

This camera is amazing in low light. I used to have to have professional lights sset up in a bed room with my Canon Gl2, only to just barely get noiseless video. The nx5u is insane. with 0gain, I can film inside my bedroom with the above light (which is weak!) and the iris mostly open, and produce VERY high quality clips.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #6
New Boot

Glad to hear that, Nick!

Can you post some samples?

Good Luck with the new cam!!
Eugene Damianov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Sure I will post some in a few hours.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here is a link to a playlist of a band I shot in available light with the NX5U. The lighting in the club was horrible and I turned the gain up to +6db on the camera. No additional processing was done to the clip other than exporting it from the timeline in Premiere CS4 to Adobe Media Encoder to render out a H.264 720 60P file to upload to YouTube.

YouTube - editguy666's Channel
Bill Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Tourist

Ignacio Muñoz

Ignacio Muñoz, I red your post and watch your lowlight test and this camera really does the job. I'm about to receive my camera but I will like to contact you because we both live in Ecuador (Quito) and can share info, I'm just starting to do camera work and your advice will be very helpful. I also try to contact you trought your youtube line. Si puedes contactarme te agradezco mucho mis teléfonos son 2374504 y 088900697. and my email fredosar@yahoo.com

Thanks
Alfredo Salazar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders