AX2000 ... if you had the chance to do it all over at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

AX2000 ... if you had the chance to do it all over

I'm seriously thinking of picking up the AX2000. I already have the Sony Z7 and FX1, but I'm considering replacing the FX1 and leaving the tape at home with the Z7 as well.

For those of you that have purchased the AX2000 ... any regrets?

Also, given the opportunity would you still purchase the 2000 or would you now go with the Panasonic 150?

I appreciate any feedback.

Scott
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Major Player

I,too, would like to hear other's stories in this regard! I am looking at upgrading as well. Now one consideration is that I have a Sony PD-170. My current stock of peripherals, batteries, chargers, LANC controller, etc. would work well with an AX2000 or NX5U. If you, or I, were to go with the HMC-150, all of the peripherals for your Sony cams would be essentially useless. I'm just considering the extra cash needed to bring a new manufacturer up to speed.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would not trade my AX-2000 in for anything. I have used it on five shoots so far and love it. I came from the PD/VX camera's and the change over was simple. Lots of control on these new cams. Tape less is so convenient and so far no problems with the cards. Keep in mind all generic brand batteries as far as I know don't work. I had 2 Impact brand batteries that worked great on the PD/VX, but dont work on the AX. Only thing I would change about the camera is to have ccd's instead of cmos censors, other than that I think its perfect.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Ben. I haven't seen anything about the auto focus being slow except in the nx5u threads. Any opinion as to any known bugs or quirks with this unit?

My batteries are all Sony, so I'm good there and I guess I've gotten used to the cmos sensors, so that's not a problem for me.

I appreciate your input.
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The only one thing I have noticed so far is that the audio meters don't always seem to be real time. They seem to get stuck for a split second at times and then catch back up. (kinda reminds me of video that is not playing back in real time on the timeline) It dosent effect the audio at all, just makes it tough at times to see if your are close to clipping. I don't know what causes this delay in the meters. I may e-mail Sony and ask if its a known issue.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for that. I'm using more digital recorders these days, so that probably wouldn't be a huge problem. I do still tap into a board for dance and theatre, but always run backup as well.

Sounds like a great camera for my needs.
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I just listed a 6 week old AX2000 in the classified section if you are interested. I have a Z1 and just bought the AX thinking it would be a big improvement. It is a very nice camera just not the image improvement I was looking for. I have decided to break down and buy the EX1.
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Bob, to answer your question you posted in the classifieds, "Chad, I read your post in the NX5u forum. What exactly are your concerns with the image quality vs. your other camera? I may be interested in a few weeks. (cash flow, y'know)"

Although this camera produces some nice images It is not substantially better than a Z1. I guess I am just really ready for the type of image that a camera like the EX1 produces.
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Chad, you're right... keep it in the right forum. Thanks for the reply!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders