Anyone have a Teleconverter for their NX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have a Teleconverter for their NX?

I shoot alot of sport particulary water sports

Scneider optics have a 1.6 x tele conv for the NXCAM

Which would push the focal range from 590 to around 990mm in reference to 35mm equiv

It's around a grand, I had a tele convertor for my PD170 just wondering if anyone is using 1 with the NXCam and is not losing too much light?

Plus has anyone been using the digital extender in full daylight for web work?
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
New Boot

B&H have it for $798.00 I also would like to know if this lens is worth it.
Steve Kass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Old Boot

This is quickly becoming a deal breaker for me. Having just spent the day calling my suppliers, and have one finger the Century, and been told that this is NOT a complete zoom-through.

I have a 2x telecon for my Canon XM2 and that too is not zoom through - only the last 1/3 is really useful. But it works.

Why doesn't somebody wise up to the need for this and produce one? I suppose if I COULDN'T see the first 2/3s I wouldn't be none the wiser . . ?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
New Boot

I have used tele adotors on other camcorder and none that I know of have full zoom through. I do not think that is possible. I would like to know how the Century optics perform.
Steve Kass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

on the pd170 i lost like the first 30%(widest) and then had full ++ range after that without a vingette
Matt Shefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a 1.6x extender on order and will report but I've used extenders before and they've never been zoom through. It's gotten me in trouble a couple of time but when you need the extra reach, you need it.
I did have a 2x extender years ago for a Canon L1 that was zoom through. But the L1 had a removable lens and the 2x extender went between the body and the main lens. I think the 2x extenders on professional lenses are in the same position. I suspect it's physics.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

There's no such thing as a full zoom through telephoto converter, and that's final. But Matt - they lose very little light, they're not like the inter-lens focal length extenders that are used on SLRs.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders