As the NX5's 128 gig box is so expensive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

As the NX5's 128 gig box is so expensive

As the FMU 128 clip-on flash-memory module is so desirable yet so fiercely expensive can't one of you bright sparks come up with a triple, series wired SD card holder that is fed by the camera's flash memory socket?

It could all live under that plastic cover - and that might need some of the internal fins breaking away to make room for the three 16 gig cards. Just a thought.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well if you bought the FMU at the same time as the camera and took advantage of the rebate it is actually no more expensive than buying 4, low cost 32G SD cards. Since the SD cards automatically switch from one to the other there is little advantage in not just using cards UNLESS one wants to record SD at the same time as HD.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ah - we don't have rebates on this camera here in the UK.
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I not only got a $400 rebate but also a full version of Vegas Pro 9.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #5
New Boot

Sony only allowed one rebate per customer, otherwise I would have three for the price of one. I thought some might show up on e-bay since anyone could get the rebate without buying the NX5U, but then you still needed the big bucks up front and so few knew about the offer. Maybe Sony could produce a 64GB Pro Duo and allow the NX5U to write to both slots at the same time with different mode options.
Curtis Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Maybe Sony could produce a 64GB Pro Duo and allow the NX5U to write to both slots at the same time with different mode options

+10
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Anderson View Post
Sony only allowed one rebate per customer,.
Not true. There was no limit per person.
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Tourist

Unfortunately Tom cannot go back in time. Tom, I've had the same idea. It's only a plastic cap that I'm sure could be replaced. Cut it up and that should allow you to fit at least 2 cards with cases. This would only serve as storage for the cards of course.
David Brinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

A very neat idea David! Why didn't Sony think of that? It frightens me how much is at stake if you lose a 16 gig postage stamp sized card, yet keeping them safe under that cover is a really excellent idea.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I almost lose 3 cards a month ago at a wedding. Lucky for me the groom's mother found them at home and she took them with her at the party. She heard me talking about the missing cards and realized that I was looking for the "SIM cards" that she found at home and returned them.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The more I thought about this feature the less desirable it became to me. It's expensive now and will look ridiculously expensive in a year or two as SDHC card prices continue to drop. Sony can't keep pace with those commodity prices with limited production item like this. Second, who wants to store that many eggs in one basket? I decided not to even buy 32 gig cards. If I need that kind of time recording I'll buy it special for the job.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders