Lens cleaner to clean the lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 20th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Lens cleaner to clean the lens

I own a NX5U camcorder and I love it but I notice some little spots on the lens when im shooting outdoors. Where can I get a good lens cleaner to wipe the little dots off? Thanks.
Eddie Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I breathe softly on the lens to let a layer of condensation form, then wipe it off before it evaporates.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm not an expert but chose Zeiss's cleaning kit from BH.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551639-REG/Zeiss_1216_071.html
figured if they made it, it's probably good enough for their lenses and therefore the lenses us mortals can afford too!
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Get yourself a micro-fibre cloth from an optician's. Only touch one side of the cloth and wash it after use. Hang to dry in a quiet room. Multi-coatings on lenses are pretty tough these days so you'd have to go out of your way to cause damage when you clean them, but even so, take good care and all will be well.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Eddie,

Tapeworks sells a Lens Cleaner Kit which inludes Rosco Lens Cleaner - 2 oz bottle with the Rosco Lens Tissue - Professionally sized 4" x 6" sheets in a booklet pack of 100 sheets. Highly safe, gentle and soft for precision optical surfaces on professional equipment.
Tapeworks sell price for the kit: $14.95

Contact Tapeworks Texas Inc toll free 866-827-3489 for further assistance.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I bought one at Best Buy and it worked perfect for me. No scratches or anything and cleaned the lens off I also bought a sun peak UV Protection filter for it so now im good to go. I should of bought it in the beginning but never thought about it. Thanks for the reply guys.
Eddie Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

A sun peak UV Protection filter? That doesn't sound like a top-notch piece of glass if you ask me Eddie. Is it super multi-coated? Let's look at this - if Sony thought that adding another element to the line-up of 16 that are already there was a good idea, wouldn't they have included it?

By all means protect your front element if you're filming sea urchins on blustery days, but at all other times leave it off. When you're shooting at a focal length as tiny as 4.1mm any extra glass will add flare and reduce your hood's effectiveness. Your G lens's multi-coating is tough enough to be cleaned weekly.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders