So what are we using to edit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

So what are we using to edit?

Got my NX5U about a week ago and now I'm thinking about editing. Two issues seem to have come up already: ability to edit the 24Mbps AVCHD stream and the ability to use the PCM audio option. What software are you using?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Edius Pro 5.5

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Major Player

PC version of Adobe PPro CS5 ingests both AVCHD and LPCM. I've used the lastest Cineform NeoHD with mixed results. I liked color balancing and matching with First Light (which seemed to better match my XH-A1 and NX5 than Premiere's color correction tools). However, I ran into stability problems using NeoHD build 257 it with CS5. While the most recent build (261, I think) which seems much more stable, but have not had have time to see if it resolved the instability on my system. Instead went ahead and finished the project (a dance recital shot with two AVCHD and three HDV cams) using the native streams in Premiere. What I saw was that PPro CS5 tended to bog down in the latter part of long-form multi-cam timelines (over 40 minutes) on my system (ASUS P6t D v2, 12 gB RAM, GTX 260 with MPE hardware enabled). The work-around was to divide the project up into shorter segments and use nested sequences to compile to a final timeline.

Avid MC5 also seems to work with both AVCHD and LPCM although, on my system, it is insisting I first import the files through Avid's conversion to Quicktime. I've just started to get Avid set up to run and somebody else may be able to give you better info.

I haven't tried Edius since getting my NX5, but all accounts seem positive.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Trustee

With Edius 5.5 you just import your footage and drop it straight to the timeline, no need to transcode.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Major Player

MC5 here. I have been using the mpeg files to mix with my PD170 though.I edit with Avid Liquid right now. I am trying to catch up with my editing so i can work(play) on MC5.I did some freelance work for a company and he edits with Edius 5.5 and produced a short show for our local station. I watch it in HD and I was amazed at how great the NX5 looked over the air. Here is a link to the show in low res. preview

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9. It works fine in SD and HD resolutions. I use dolby audio but tried LPCM also and didn't noticed any problems.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm saving up and hope to get a copy of Windows Movie Maker one of these days.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
MC5 here. I have been using the mpeg files to mix with my PD170 though.I edit with Avid Liquid right now. I am trying to catch up with my editing so i can work(play) on MC5
How are you getting AVCHD into MC5?
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Perrone,

I click on file then import. Find the file and click open.

Dan
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ok, thought you were doing something fancy! :)
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

edius 5.5. works great!
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I can't import the .mts file into FCP :-(
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.
Dan, I'm an Avid Liquid user also but am moving on now that it's EOL and I have an AVCHD camera. I need a method that is faster than first converting all my AVCHD to MPEG2. Otherwise I wouldn't switch.
Cristian, have you experienced issues with using the FX (24Mbps) files?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Marc,

I am not converting the files. I write to the cards in 1080i FX mode and the hard drive in 480i 4:3 or 16:9. Did you take advantage of the $495.00 for MC4/5 for Liquid users? MC5 will import AVCHD files. I tried Edius and could not get used to it. I think MC5 makes more cents to me, but it's a personal choice. I do like there multi cam feature in Edius.

Dan
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufiyan Shukur View Post
I can't import the .mts file into FCP :-(
You can easily re-wrap your files to Quicktime .mov files using ClipWrap

But, you very well might run into problems working with native AVCHD files. As the super high compressed nature of the AVCHD codec is Hell on your processor.

The same goes for many computers, weather PC or MAC. As at this time you have to have some serious horsepower to edit native AVCHD media. AVCHD was designed as a delivery not editing codec.

In many cases it's best to convert to an intermediate for the edit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders