2x teleconverter for sony HXR-NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 31st, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
New Boot

2x teleconverter for sony HXR-NX5

hey ive just brought a sony HXR-NX5. i shoot alot of surfing and was wondering wat type of 2x converter is the best to suit this camera. thanks
Timmy Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
New Boot

Teleconverter

I shoot wildlife video and researched this. I was unable to find anyone who made a 2x teleconverter as the mount is not a screw in but a bayonet. I bought a 1.6x from Century Optical (Schneider). Very expensive at about $800 USD but works beautifully and very nicely made. Image sharp edge to edge and only vignettes at about 50% zoom and when using a teleconverter, I never zoom out more than 50% anyway. Lots of money but it works like a charm for me and it is almost always mounted on the camera when I am working small birds or distant critters
Phillip Slosberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #3
New Boot

1.6x teleconverter

hi phillip i have got a 1.6x convereter its a century precision optics it think possibly simmilar to yours but the bayonet ring that attaches to the camera was to suit a different lens but i had a precision engineer to make it suit my camera.
they also make a 2x converter but its about $1250 USD. which is alot of money to spend and then get it engineered to suit my camera.
Timmy Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Major Player

B&H Photo Video list Century Precision Optics 0HD-16TC-Z7U 1.6x Telephoto Converter Len ($799.95) as for the Sony HVR-Z7U. Does anyone know if that means it also fits the HXR-NX5U?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No, it won't fit on NX5 because it's Bayonet mount.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM   #6
New Boot

Century Optics 1.6 teleconverter

I ordered mine from B&H and just looked it up in order history:

Century Precision Optics 1.6X TELE-CONVERTER HD BAYONET f/Z7U - CEHD16TCZ7U

Above is the order specification and note that it was the "Bayonet" I think they make it with different mounts and the bayonet mount works perfectly on the HXR-NX5U. The mounting system is very clever with a "twist to lock" feature that makes it very secure on the system. When you look it up, check out the weight as it is fairly heavy and changes the balance of the camera, but since you would use this with the camera on a tripod, that is not really a problem.
Phillip Slosberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders