Shoulder brace system for NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

Shoulder brace system for NX5

This system has been available for the EX cameras now for almost a year. It is very popular.

Yesterday John brought over his NX5U, and we tested the fit of the system. We were both very happy that it fits perfectly.

This solves the problem of long time hand held shooting. It makes you much steadier as well.

The system also allows for mounting Wireless receivers and batteries and it makes a big flat base for the NXcam that will accept VCT-14 wedges or any tripod quick release.

There are also optional arms for holding a NanoFlash or whatever your need.

The long shoulder brace comes off quickly as does the short one. The large shoulder Brace pivots to align you with the viewfinder or the LCD, with or without HoodLoop.

The HoodLoop seen in the photos makes the LCD a very good viewfinder and balances the camera very nicely, this can be used with only the short shoulder brace or with a counter weight, a battery to run a light or even the whole camera and other accessories works very well. I can set up an AntonBauer Goldmount plate or an IDX V-mount plate on the brace as well.

For more information go to my website, I will be updating it specifically for the NXcam today.
Westside A V Studios WEB Store

Or contact me directly:
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam1.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam2.jpg  

Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam3.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam4.jpg  

Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam5.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam6.jpg  

Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam7.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam8.jpg  

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
New Boot

West Side AV Studios - a great, affordable shoulder brace

After spending a day shooting with West Side AV Studios shoulder brace I have to say that I am very pleased.

The engineering and workmanship are solid, well thought out and affordable. It takes an experienced shooter to develop gear that really works. Thanks Olof!

I am looking forward to rigging up the Cine Arm and bracket for my monitor.
John Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Major Player

John,

Is that your NX5 above?

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

Yes that is John's camera.

Here are a few more we shot today.

We also customized the HoodLoop to fit the NX5 perfectly. You can see the fit in the photos below.

We also added a 2 1/2 lb weight to the back of the shoulder brace. I do this sometimes for shooters that don't use large batteries. This balances the NX5 really well, no front heaviness at all. And the HoodLoop makes a great view finder.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam11.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam12.jpg  

Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam13.jpg   Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam14.jpg  

Shoulder brace system for NX5-nxcam15.jpg  
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Olof,

Wow that looks great. Let me know when you get more HoodLoops in. I will definitely take one. I wonder why i'm not getting email notifications from this site anymore.Olof your system makes me want one of your shoulder braces, top notch.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Asseff; December 7th, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
New Boot

NX5U Shoulder brace and Hoodman

Dan,

Meeting Olof was a wonderful surprise thank to DVinfo.net. I just stumbled upon his post in this forum and was lucky enough to find that he lived nearby.

That said, I am really pleased with the modifications that we made to my rig. I have a shoot tomorrow and plan to really put it to the test - with confidence.

The Hoodman modification is perfect.

John
John Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Major Player

John,

Keep us posted on the Hoodman Loop and how it preformed on your shoot. How much better would you say
it looks compared to the view finder. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders