Accessories and tips for NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Accessories and tips for NX5

Hi Everyone,
I'm seriously considering buying the NX 5 very soon.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Anyone have any accessories (bags, lights, tripod, memory cards, etc) they recommend.?
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Extra goodies for the NX5

As per other posting, I got some model airplane foam tires to use as adapters for putting my Sennheiser shotgun mike in the holder.

For the memory cards, I used two Transcend 32 GB class 6. I decided to forgo the 128 GB storage unit due to cost per GB. I find the two 32 GB cards more than adequate for my needs. I may get another set so I can swap out cards in the busy season, locking up filled cards till the job is editing.

This camera can be madel shoulderable - almost - with use of the Hoodloupe by Hoodman USA. You also need their neoprene attachment device to mount it on the monitor screen.

I use the Portabrace CS-DV3 case and the Miller SoloDV DS-10 carbon fiber tripod. I edit with Vegas 10 (9 or 10 is required) on a Sony Vaio i7 chip laptop.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Marty, I use NX5 for my projects (weddings and events), I also equipped my camera with chinese made LED lamp powered by 6 AA batteries, Sennheizer wireless mic, glidecam, and manfrotto tripod with 501 HDV head, I use FMU unit as my storage media, because sometimes in my experience I dont have time to change it if I use SDHC..
Ario Narendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Marty - what have you come from, or what do you shoot with at the moment? I ask because I want the NX5 to be a good step up for you, and not just a sideways move. There's a ton of stuff here on bags, tripods, lights, mics and so on, and the search facility will have you screen-reading for a week.

If your NLE system is ready to go with AVCHD then the NX5 is a good mid-range camera that will be able to handle a lot of situations - from near to far, dim to bright. Having owned a Z1 for four years the NX5 hasn't offered me the improvements I expected, but even so it's a solidly built piece of equipment that should hold its value well.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What I have now and we're I'm going

Right now I have 2 JVC cameras that are SD and shoot on tape. I also have a JVC GYHD200 and the MRHD100. The camera and hard drive shoots 720p60 in M2T or Quicktime files. I have 2 lectrosonic wireless mics, a Sachtler and Bogen tripod, Varizoom Aviator, Glidetrack, etc.

I recently switched from my archaic PC editing system to a 2010 Mac and FCP.

I primarily shoot weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, and corporate productions (about 50/50). More and more of my clients are requesting HD and specifically 1080. In fact, I have one client that wants everything 1080i/59.94 (or is it 60, I get confused) to match her camera and other footage that she has from another shooter.

I was looking at the Z7, but decided to totally abandon tape and go with AVCHD.

I currently have Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries and Frezzi lights with power tap. So, in addition the camera, I'm also looking for a battery solution, on camera light, case, memory cards, the FMU, and any other good toys .... sorry ... tools.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders