Sony NX5 (p,e,u) Work Flow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NX5 (p,e,u) Work Flow

Hey guys, i have 3 Sony NX5P cameras, which are Australian based versions, with firmware 2.0 and CMU 1.1x, i have been using these camera's for about 7 months now. I Love them, the first few shoots i did with these camera's, i was like no way Sony has let me down, But after reading web sites fourms, Manuals, and finding out more about these camera's i LOVE them. The Key is to get to know the Camera's before shooting and also learning how to use the Tapeless products.

I use to conntect the FlashDrive FMU128 or SD Card via SD Card Reader and Letting the CMU Software join the files to a Hard Disk Drive. Then Edit. But NOW....

Work Flow that i USE with Edius 5.51 or 6.02

I Copy the Either Content of my Flash Drive 128GB to a Hard Disk Drive, or Copy from the SD Cards to a Hard Disk Drive, then USE the Software (CMU) to Join the files together. This way i have the Raw Shoot on Drive & Also i have a New Folder which is Name Joined (Which you create to join the files into), then i sse Edius to convert from AVCHD to Canopus HQ AVI Files or Canopus uncompressed AVI, and then Edit.

I Have Intel X990 CPU's with 24GB Ram, NV Q FX3800, 2 x 2TB HDD, 4 x 6TB Raid Level 6 HDD Disk Drives (Network Storage), But i Like to Convert to AVI Files as this way i do not get any Problems Viewing or Editting Files and Projects... Also Please Note, When joining files please join on a Local HDD, Network joining is Supported but large projects tends to fail in the join.

Many thanks
Does Anyone Have a Different Work Flow that would Work Better?
Dipesh Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NX5 (p,e,u) Work Flow

I use the CMU to transfer to the hard drive on my PC. I use the FMU so just connect to the USB and transfer. I prefer this approach as it only displays and transfers clips not FAT32 files that I am not interested in at all. It is fast as I normally do theatre shows of over 2 hours which will transfer in about 12 mins giving me a file automatically named with the date and time of the shoot. I transfer into a directory I create for the show. CMU will then automatically create a folder named with the date and time the transfer took place. I then backup to a LTO3 data tape.

I also use Edius and convert to Canopus HQ for editing as my PC isn't powerful enough to edit 4 track AVCHD multitrack which is how a shoot with 4 cameras.

When I am finished all final files go into the same show directory and are backup up to the LTO3 tape. I make BLuray and SD DVD then remove all files from the PC ready for the next show. Edius project files and DVD Architect files are also on a separate backup tape as well so I could always recover from several failures.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What Software are you Using for Backup on the LTO 3 Drive, and in what OS... i Need to Get a Windows Based Software Backup System so that i can Buy a LTO 5, But all Backup Software is for Server Right?
Dipesh Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use Retrospect 7.7 Professional for Windows. Roxio Retrospect - Powerful Easy-To-Use Data Protection. The LTO4 is the next speed drive up from my LTO3 and is reasonably priced too, twice the capacity of the LTO3 . I think its about $1500 in Canada. My Quantum HH LTO3 was about $1100 Can when I bought it some years ago. IT backs up at about 65MBps which is about as fast as a single 7200rpm drive will sustain. It will recover at the same speed too since the limit is the hard drive. It used to be EMC until Roxio bought them a little while back. The current cost is $119 US download from the Roxio site. OS is Vista 64 on my editing PC.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I Have been lookin g for a Backup System for so long now as since i have moved away from tapes, i am so worried about hard disk drives crashing, or failing... i went out today and got my self a LTO 5 Tape Drive from Tandbarg and LTO 5 Data Tapes 1.5TB/3TB with a SAS PCI-e Card, i got a Windows Based Server 2010 64Bit with 6GB Ram. That Software from Retrospect for Windows is Awesome, Much Much Better then the Symantec... and So Much easier to USE... Thanks Heaps....
Dipesh Parmar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders