24fps vs.30fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Major Player

24fps vs.30fps

I have a DSLR that only shoots 24fps in 1080p
I would like to keep my footage as close as possible.

What will I be giving up if I set the NX5u to also shoot 24fps?

Thoughts?
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 24fps vs.30fps

Nope infact your footage will be sharper, cleaner... 24FPS is the NTSC Format for USA and all...

Good Luck...
Dipesh Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, 24Fps has nothing to do with NTSC, which is 29.97 -- 24Fps is the cinema standard used everywhere, more or less a 'universal standard'.

That said, I don't follow your question. 1920x1080p@24Fps is available on the NX5u -- will it look 'the same' as that setting on your unnamed DSLR? Doubtful, as the imaging chip is at the very least a different size and design, and possibly a different brand. The supporting electronics will be different too ... But will it work well with your existing gear -- possibly, at a minimum the recorded material can be the same format. Only a test can confirm whether two dissimilar cameras generate complementary material.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the Info.. But 24FPS is Mainly used in 35MM Cameras and NTSC Format... where as Pal is always 25FPS... So when u say 24fps it is for the US market... where as PAL is 25fps... its still the same casue its all Progressive scan so the footage will look great... the 30P is for slow motion... but if u are using the NX5 it has a slow motion record. i hope that clears everythings...

35 mm movie cameras use a standard exposure rate of 24 frames per second, though many cameras offer rates of 23.976 FPS for NTSC television and 25 FPS for PAL

More Info:
Frame rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Major Player

24Fps is film speed, around the world. It is not an NTSC speed at all.

29.97 is NTSC speed, 25 is PAL speed.
You can shoot film in 29.97 or 25 if your target is television, but for cinema, you shoot 24. This is not an NTSC thing -- movies in Australia are shot at 24 if they are destined for the theatre, same in India, Hollywood, France, London ... For that same end, if you are shooting video but intend to release a film print you will have to either shoot 24 or conform to 24 ...

It is true that the PAL versions of many camcorders that offer 24Fps in NTSC models don't bother on their PAL models as 25 is 'close enough' -- that is PAL users being ripped off, not 24 being an NTSC speed.

30Fps (or 29.97) conformed to 24Fps will give you a slightly slow motion -- though frankly not slow enough for most 'slow motion' uses. Half speed (so 60Fps conformed to 30Fps) would be a more common use of slow motion.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok Great thanks for that update... Clear on that now...
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino View Post
What will I be giving up if I set the NX5u to also shoot 24fps?
Thoughts?
The first thing you'll be giving up is smoothness - smoothness of subject movement within the frame and smoothness of pans, tilts and zooms. As others have said, 24fps (and it's necessary 48Hz projection rate) was something cinematographers dreamed up 100 years ago to give a smooth-ish impression of movement without blowing the entire film budget on film-stock. In my view it has little relevance today.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders