NX5U major focus issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 17th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: NX5U major focus issue

HD is more critical for focus. I don't think my NX5U is any worse than my FX1 it just shows the focus issue more because of the HD image. They are both terrible in auto compared to the consumer SR11, XR500 or CX700 I have. I never run either the FX1 or NX5U in auto anything as they are both poor in auto compared to the consumer cameras side by side the difference is clear. Maybe the new NX70 will have the best of both. I think the consumer camera logic focuses on the faces or objects close to the camera rather than a simple section in the middle of the view. This makes a big difference and stops a lot of hunting and also manages the exposure better for these subjects too. Shooting people there is no doubt the consumer cameras in auto do a better job. They can even do pull focus with the spot focus feature too, quicker and more precisely. What they don't do is have full manual control for difficult conditions or special effects and all mine certainly have obvious backfocus issues not present on the pro ranges.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders