DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   My nx70 tests (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/497470-my-nx70-tests.html)

Ron Evans June 28th, 2011 06:49 AM

Re: My nx70 tests

What project setting were you using in Vegas? Camera clearly works fine since it plays back to your TV correctly. Would be interested in any other users who have tried PCM audio with Vegas or Edius.

Your experience of NX5U is different to mine as I can never really get my NX5U to focus well in auto. Yes it doesn't change much when I pan is true unfortunately it is rarely in focus that way either ! Just like my FX1 the NX5U seems to focus on a spot that I am never interested in !!! Always run both in manual. They are only ever used in low light theatre so that may be the issue but in the same conditions the small Sony's ( SR11, XR500 and CX700) lock in focus fast.

Ron Evans

Gerald OConnor June 28th, 2011 07:22 AM

Hi Ron there has been a bunch of us complaining on the PCM Bug
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...p-windows.html
I tried numerous ways in Vegas and was unlucky, there may be a way but I couldn't find it. It works well in Dolby but if PCM is better I want it to work. It properly I'd a firmware issue for the camera.

Ron Evans June 28th, 2011 08:00 AM

I don't think its the camera at all since the playback is fine to the TV. It is the NLE's not decoding both 60P and PCM audio. That is why I asked about project settings. PCM audio was an issue when the NX5U first came out as I think only Vegas and Edius could playback the audio. Neither Premiere or FCP would recognize the PCM audio in an AVCHD stream.The same is now likely true for 60P and PCM audio. It would be good if someone would try the 50P/ 60P with PCM in Edius. For project settings in Vegas was 60P ( double NTSC in Vegas properties) selected ? There isn't a preset for 60P in my copy of Vegas so to set up a timeline one must create a preset from the 60i preset. Set field order to non progressive and rate to double NTSC. and save as the 60P preset. The timecode may effect the way PCM is played.

Ron Evans

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2011 08:20 AM

Ron,

Check the other thread - Claire tried my "problem file" in Edius and the sound was fine. The other NLEs and other playback software just need to catch up. It looks (hopefully) as if this is not a camera problem.

Ron Evans June 28th, 2011 09:02 AM

I knew Claire has a Panasonic 50P camera and edits in Edius so it is as I expected. Vegas dealt fine with my NX5U PCM audio, in fact camera came with a copy of Vegas. I just wondered if the timecode has an affect on playback. Have you tried PCM audio with interlace?

Ron Evans

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2011 09:05 AM

Ron,

As per other thread - every combination of audio and video works fine with PCM, except 50p/60p.

So 50i PCM, 25p PCM are fine, as are all the Dolby Digital options.

I didn't think to try the time code settings, I might have a play with that later to see if it makes any difference. I honestly don't think it will help, but you never know.

Edit: fiddling with all the timecode settings, it didn't make any difference.

Jim Stamos June 28th, 2011 01:25 PM

hey ron,
im surprised that the zoom on this cam is so sensitive and you cant get a nice -slow one. as weve talked before when i got my cx550, it has the same chipset and similar in most ways except for the xlrs and other minor features. my cx gives me a very controlled zoom and this is the consumer line. i wsa going to get the 70 as a compliment to my ex1r and the cx but the zoom deal is discouraging me now. hopefully sony will see this as a major issue. i remember playing with the 70 at nab and the zoom was very fast. i thought it being a prototype this would be fixed. obviously not.
too bad for those that plunked down 2800.00 for it.

Ron Evans June 28th, 2011 01:36 PM

Jim I don't think it is similar to the CX550 it is similar to the CX700. Chip set is different as are a lot of other things. LANC control of my CX700 works great so it is the mechanical action that is the issue and is obviously carried over to the NX70. The new menu of the NX70 as well as the manual controls look great over the CX700. I don't need the water proofing or the XLR so I am still pondering on getting the camera.

Ron Evans

Jean Philippe Stuart June 28th, 2011 04:07 PM

What's you guys opinion comparing this camera with the Sony AX 2000. And any luck with uploading and editing in FCP6 or 7 or X?

Gerald OConnor June 29th, 2011 07:37 PM

This is the canon xa10 test I did to compare to the focus walking test I did with the nx70

xa10

nx70

I have documenting this swing set project for my two young sons so when there older they can laugh at me when I tell them how long and how much money it cost for this free swing LOL thanks for looking.