No sound in playback after import in editing software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No sound in playback after import in editing software

It took me a while to get the Sony CMU to import my clips but it plays the sound very choppy in it, when I try to open in Sony Vegas Pro or media player it plays smoother but no sound at all. Racking my brain on this one, any on have issues with this. I put it on my win 7 laptop which has never had any issues playing any of my cameras clips at least choppy but they all have played.

OK changed the audio settings to Dolby sound from Linear pcm. Seems to have fixed the playback in Vegas. Now with all my test clips I would like to see if I can get them to play in Vegas but from now on Dolby all the way.

The CMU import software is kind of crappy for me, it takes a few not responding attempts before it will let me import. Ill try it on the desktop and see if its just my laptop causing issues.

Last edited by Gerald OConnor; June 22nd, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: No sound in playback after import in editing software

I had the same experience with the content management software (very, very slow) along with the sound issue (which was fixed when I switched the audio to Dolby). Windows media player "struggles" to play the video files. Had better luck with the latest version of VLC.
John Rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:18 AM   #3
Trustee

We discussed this here, a week or so ago (before this forum was created): http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...p-windows.html

Alas, no solution so far, other than not using PCM audio at 50p (and I presume 60p as well).

For me, it played the 50p PCM files perfectly in the Sony software, even at full screen. They played perfectly in Media Player Classic too, but not in my other software.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It works fine in Edius

Hi Mike, I just posted in the other thread to say the PCM audio in your 50P file works fine in Edius, I hear a child saying something... but no sound at all in Windows Media Player or Classic, or TotalMedia Theatre 3.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

This was the same issue when the NX5 came out. PCM audio worked fine in Vegas and Edius but not in most others. Don't have a 60P PCM audio to try but both my CX700 60P( which is just Dolby on this consumer version) and the NX5U PCM audio work fine in Edius and Vegas 10. Of interest the PCM files from the NX5U will not play in the Sony MBS for the consumer models but MBS will capture the files correctly which will then play in either Vegas or Edius !!! Likely a deliberate Sony action aimed at separating the Pro and consumer brands !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Trustee

Ron,

Does the NX5 have 1080 60p? I thought it was just 60i and 30p.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I just set my audio to Dolby and from here forward it should be fine. Mike I wish this issue was on the nx70 before I went testing yesterday, but it's only test footage so no big deal. Haha. Why would I choose PCM over dolby anyways is it a better pro audio codex or just personal choice. Now if I could just get the import software to work better it's a big pita.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dave,
The NX5U is 1080x60i , 1080x30P, 720x60P and 1080x24P but has LPCM audio as well as Dolby. CX700 is only Dolby audio but is 60i , 60P and 24P. The initial issue for the NLE's was with LPCM in the AVCHD stream. Now its LPCM as well as 60P which is not really part of the AVCHD spec !! Vegas and Edius manage all of these combinations. Vegas 9 was shipped with my NX5U, saved me upgrading from Vegas 8.

The NX70 has solved most of the issues I have with the CX700 so may be on my list soon as I really like the picture from the CX700.

There is a noticeable difference using PCM audio so that too is a bonus.

Ron Evans
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Ron i'm not up on audio why is PCM better than Dolby just wondering thanks
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

To record audio one must encode the analogue input into some digital form. There are different means of doing this with different attributes. Generally the more the audio is compressed the lower the quality. Higher bit rates and higher sample rates give higher quality. There are various rates for LPCM but generally it is higher quality than the more compressed forms( Dolby, mp3 , ATRAC) and has the advantage in that it is a good base for further compression later. That is it is better to compress LPCM to Dolby at your chosen rate rather than recompress a Dolby audio source to another rate for DVD production.

I think the NX70 is stereo only but the consumer CX700 etc have Dolby 5.1 or stereo and I use the 5.1 with the Sony Bluetooth mic to get a center channel from stage level for my shows. Just extract the center channel in Vegas and use in the mix with the others.

Ron Evans
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thank you very much I learned something new today.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Sony Vegas Pro 10.e now plays PCM audio from the nx70 that was a quick fix from sony.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders