Uncompressed output via HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncompressed output via HDMI

Hey guys, thanks so much for the reviews. I do mainly documentary work in developing countries, and all the problems I have with the HDSLRs seems to be solved with this. That is until HDSLRs start shooting RAW video, but I doubt we see that until later this real, Q2 of next year. At least that is my hope.

My question revolves around the HDMI out, I read somewhere last week that it was uncompressed out the HDMI, giving you the ability to record uncompressed 4:2:2 video to a external storage device like a Ki Pro, Hyperdeck shuttle, etc.

Was wondering if you could confirm that.

Also, I can't seem to find solid specs on the sensor, is it a 1/2" cmos senor ?

Cheers
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Uncompressed output via HDMI

That would be cool but I haven't read any thing like that, I know that the new Sony fs100 has that ability.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

sounds really promising, I would love to know for sure. Just have to wait and see which of the rental houses get it in first, so I can use it to work, so I know what limitations I have with it.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Trustee

James,

It's a single 1/2.88" Exmor sensor, so just a little larger than a 1/3" sensor.

I can't find any mention of 4:4:4 in the manual/specs. Is there an easy way to tell what the output is? I don't need an external recorder, so it's not obvious to me,
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yea I was wondering what the menu might say. I don't know what he is founding this on. I couldn't find any mention of it in the manual PDF

strange how rumors start.

The best way to test is to run it straight into a computer via HMDI, and set it for 4:2:2 YUV capture, and see if it come out. then import your file that was recorded on the NX70U. Import them and compare.

If final cut pro or whatever edit application you use recognizes it as 4:2:2 colorspace then you have yourself a winner winner, chicken dinner. But otherwise if it doesn't display properly then the output of the camera is limited.

Its an involved test thats for sure, but if you have the hard drive speed to handle that uncompressed data, it would sure be good to know what you can get out of this little baby.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Ah. I don't think I can capture via HDMI, I just have HDMI-out on my graphics card and nothing else. Sorry!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

When I was looking for a new computer last month I asked at bestbuy if any new pc/Mac computers had Hdmi input the geek laughed at me had never seen one only Hdmi output. So I imagine a special card would be needed.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Blackmagic Intensity Pro is the cheapest solution to capture via HDMI, and it works pretty well.
Old June 25th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald OConnor View Post
When I was looking for a new computer last month I asked at bestbuy if any new pc/Mac computers had Hdmi input the geek laughed at me had never seen one only Hdmi output. So I imagine a special card would be needed.

The only PC that I know of that has a true HDMI input is Alienware. Their 17X model has HDMI input.
Stephen Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Bumping this tread. Has anyone tested to record through HDMI yet?
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Major Player

I was able to record off the HDMI with my Nanoflash. Unfortunately, the Nano is not yet "time code activated" via HDMI, (told the firmware upgrade should be soon) so I had to start the record manually, but it did make beautiful recordings. My tests were at a setting of 80 megabits on the Nano.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thank you for your help. NoanFlash is ordered. I tested the NX70 with a VarioZoom Rock, and the Lanc supports focus, but not the switsh between auto focus and manual fokus like the A1 hc1 cx11 and many others. It seems that every time Sony presents a new model, it disappears a function in the Lanc protocol.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders