Zoom rocker, a show stopper!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Zoom rocker, a show stopper!!

Here in New Zealand I have been in contact with SONY NZ professional division for some time. From the start they have been very supportive and understanding of my complaint. However the latest is that SONY Japan has advised them now that March 2012 is when this problem is likely to be rectified. For me its totally unsatisfactory to put up with this 'factory initiated defect' for what will be 9mths since I bought the camera. I conveyed my profound disappointment to them and they conceded that they are not happy either, and that New Zealand, Australia & Hong Kong are trying to get the factory to improve this date. I suggest that if other owners are reading this and are also not happy, that they should let SONY reps know and ask them to add their weight to call for an earlier date for rectification. Don't get me wrong this camera has a lot going for it, but someone dropped the ball, badly, at the factory and we the customers are not being satisfactorily supported by SONY Japan in my opinion.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #47
Trustee

Hi Warren,

I'm not sure who the UK Sony rep is (no easy way for little people like me to find out). I've just fired off a mail to Prime Support Europe. After all, European models cost £100s more just to cover this service, so I would hope they can give me a response.

It is a bit galling, I can work around it, but it's a shocking oversight. Did nobody test the camera before release? There's been a few people on here who have said they won't buy the camera solely because of this issue, Sony must be aware that it's losing them business!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Mike, you ask, 'Did nobody test the camera before release?' and I feel this way about the NX5's top screen. Did no-one at Sony's R & D take the Z1 and ther prototype NX5 into the sunny carpark and say, 'Whoooh! Look how much bigger and brighter the Z1's screen is. It may be cruder resolution, but at least the picture and on-screen graphics are readable in direct sunlight.'

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #49
Trustee

Reply from Sony UK Prime Support today:

"We have checked with the factory in Japan and have been advised that a firmware upgrade will be released next year, possibly March. The details however have yet to be finalised so I cannot offer any more information other than this."

Pretty much as Warren and others have reported. I don't think there's any way to speed up the process, it probably has to take its place in the queue in development and QA. I'm sure it is lower priority than some of their broadcast stuff, and who knows, it may still be suffering from the effects of last year's earthquake.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #50
Trustee

I noticed a news posting on ProAV's website in the UK.

NEX-FS100E & HXR-NX70E Firmware - Coming Soon! - News - Proactive

Quote:
* Zoom rocker operation improvement
* Simultaneous Rec. with internal memory and memory card
*720/50p additional recording mode, etc.

PLUS much more!
One does wonder what "Plus much more" is.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #51
Inner Circle

'Plus much more fiddling with the English language;' by the sound of it. Surely it should be 'zoom rocker fix' if they're going to bother at all. Improving a no-good control might just take it up to so-so territory.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Yes Tom, I had a look at that news item on the Pro AV site about the firmware upgrade. Had to laugh a little when the heading stated it 'will be out soon' (March 2012!!!). You will note I posted on this site July 2011. Its fairly clear to me that SONY don't have any sense of urgency on this issue, and I suspect what we will end up with is a slow / fast zoom function not a fully variable function as all other pro cameras seem to have. To me only a hardware upgrade would bring the desired result. I had ideas about offering video coverage of weddings as a little retirement earner, and it could pay for future larger camera purchases if it took off. However since I experienced the indifference of SONY to the customer, even when the issue is squarely in their court, I won't be buying SONY again & no I not doing weddings either. Not having that smooth variable slow zoom ability to me makes no sense. A slow / Fast zoom function is for domestic cameras, not for what SONY claims is a new design Pro Video camera. Yes I'm unhappy and I guess I'm not the only one.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:35 AM   #53
Regular Crew

I had the SONY HVR A 1E which bizzarely had a sideways zoom control lever( not even a rocker) and that was ok for slow starts but seemed to run away with itself so most zooms were awful. No change there then! I could never remember which way to press it to zoom in!This is a major problem if you don't use it on a tripod and can't fit a Lanc controller. Does Sony ever hand over prototypes to cameramen for testing before puttint things on sale???
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:40 AM   #54
Trustee

One does wonder, Barry. I can't imagine any normal user, amateur or professional, who would lift an NX70, try the zoom, and be happy with it.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM   #55
Major Player

what about this supposed firmware in march. will it give it a slow zoom? i noticed it at nab last year. cant believe sony doesnt see this? as long as theyre selling, sony wont do s..t.
i was going to buy one as a second to my ex1r. not now, am using my sony cx550 and it matches very well.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #56
Trustee

The firmware update is supposed to give us a "controllable" speed. I presume it will be a speed limit set in the menu. Something like "Set maximum zoom speed: slow, medium or fast".

I'm not getting too excited about that. What if you set your speed too slow and you need to zoom slightly faster mid-shot? Hmmm. It does suggest that the problem is most definitely hardware, that can't be fixed with a firmware update. So this is just a compromise solution.

I've become so un-enamoured with the NX70, I'm on the verge of buying a Panasonic AC130 or AC160 soon, to hell with poverty. The NX70 will live on a B-cam, or I will try to sell it.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I can't imagine any normal user, amateur or professional, who would lift an NX70, try the zoom, and be happy with it.
Hi Mike. There once was a time when I would have agreed. But after using the NX70 for about 6 months filming over 30+ wedding and events... I can honestly say this camera absolutely rocks.

The terrible zoom has solved a major flaw in my filming technique... always filming with a slow zoom-out or zoom-in, mainly to compensate for the lack of steadyshot function in previous models.

Now I'm forced to not use an unreliable zoom - my footage is 20 times better as I've learned to frame and compose in a more professional manner.

Zoom shots scream amateur. I love the NX70. It produces amazing images that I'm constantly amazed at.
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders