Zoom rocker, a show stopper!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Zoom rocker, a show stopper!!

The NX70 was designed to be a run and gun camera for newsgathering. I believe they made the zoom response fast because in a news situation, you need to compose your shot as quickly as possible, which it does. For me, a fast zoom works well. Just compose, and recompose your shots as quickly as possible. A slower creep is still possible if you practice and get used to it.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey - 2 Warrens, 2 opinions! :)

I'm with Warren E on this one. Just recieved the NX70 demo unit today and the zoom rocker is terrible.

Absolutely terrible. As in defective.

At best, you can get a mid-speed zoom if you are incredibly careful - but a slow creep forward or backwards that any other camera can do in this price range - it fails.

Apart from the zoom rocker, this camera is AMAZING. Beautiful ergonomics. LCD and viewfinder which looks like a futuristic plasma TV in quality! Active steadyshot that will probably put Steadycam(inc) out of business. Nice menu system with handy 'my buttons' assignables. Nice full control of iris and focus assisting. Incredibly quick and accurate auto-focus.

I'm probably going to buy it, and pray for a zoom rocker fix.

Last edited by John Knight; August 3rd, 2011 at 04:06 AM.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:04 AM   #18
Major Player

BREAKING NEWS: My retailer here has confirmed Sony have "a software upgrade pending to slow the fast Zoom down. The problem is caused by the *waterproofing* of the rocker mechanism."

Will have more details soon...
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:12 AM   #19
Trustee

So maybe some defective units zoom faster than others, depending on how the switch was coated?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Nice Sony spin but the CX700 has exactly the same issue compared to earlier handycams I have like the XR500 or SR11 !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Windows allows users to adjust the scroll speed of the mouse, why can't Sony include such a feature in the menu so that one can choose a zoom profile to their liking? That would be a nice feature.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Trustee

Good news on the firmware update, folks. I'm just back from a couple of days filming with my little beastie and I couldn't be happier.

All my zooms were with the Lanc controller, though!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Mike has the firmware fixed the rocker issue and changed anything else? Thanks
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #24
Trustee

The firmware update isn't released yet, as far as I know.

It doesn't stop me being happy though!
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #25
Trustee

Just picked up my NX70 today! I love it so far but.....

I thought you guys might have overblown the zoom/rocker problem just a little bit,..but OMG...this problem is terrible! In all my years of buying video cameras this NX70 rocker is the WORST I have ever seen in any camera to date. (it's even worse that my cheapest consumer cameras)

How could this issue have gotten past the Sony design team? Even worse, how did it get past the beta testers and make it's way into production? Didn't anyone operate the zoom rocker (just once) before it went to production?

I'm a huge Sony fan but I'm shocked that something so huge slipped through the design and production cracks!..I mean,..WOW!

We need a firmware fix yesterday. (something that buffers the data from the rocker)

The lens control server appears to handle "slow" commands from the touch screen zoom control. So, I'm guessing it's not a lens motor issue, it's a data send issue?

Wow,..this is bad.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Yes I agree, its a bit of a shocker for a "Professional" video cam zoom control. Although my local SONY Tech manager has promised a fix is on the way, I urge you to make contact with your local SONY Professional Tech Manager and tell him or her of your disappointment. The more that happens the sooner the fix! The camera produces great video and I am impressed, but the zoom rocker is a grave lapse of quality control in my opinion.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post

I thought you guys might have overblown the zoom/rocker problem just a little bit,..but OMG...this problem is terrible! In all my years of buying video cameras this NX70 rocker is the WORST I have ever seen in any camera to date. (it's even worse that my cheapest consumer cameras)

How could this issue have gotten past the Sony design team? Even worse, how did it get past the beta testers and make it's way into production? Didn't anyone operate the zoom rocker (just once) before it went to production?

I'm a huge Sony fan but I'm shocked that something so huge slipped through the design and production cracks!..I mean,..WOW!

We need a firmware fix yesterday. (something that buffers the data from the rocker)

The lens control server appears to handle "slow" commands from the touch screen zoom control. So, I'm guessing it's not a lens motor issue, it's a data send issue?

Wow,..this is bad.

CT
I've also noticed that the remote control that came with the camera allows for a smooth, slow zoom. But that's not of much use in the field. I would like to see an option for a choice of zooms (slow and fast) like that found on the Sony VX2100. It would, of course, have to be an option on the camera's menu. I do miss those switches and buttons!
John Rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
It seems like this is indeed the case, I can get some very nice slow zooms with my Libec Lanc control.

Indeed, the combination of NX70, Vinten Vision Blue tripod and Libec Lanc has given me the best combined zoom/pan/tilt shots I've ever managed.
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #29
Inner Circle

This NX70 (I haven't actually handled one) appears to have no user-operated ND filters, right? So have any of you taken a peek down the lens to see what's going on? My Panasonic 900 spends most of its life shooting at maximum aperture, only starting to stop down when the light levels require an aperture smaller than f/5.6. I wonder if this Sony operates in the same way?

And another question: regarding the active Steadyshot. I have this mode on my NX5 but the slight crop, loss of wide-angle coverage and subsequent re-scaling of the image are losses that are hard to bear. Is the NX70 any better in this respect?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I am assuming the response is the same as the CX700 though Mike will no doubt comment too. For the CX700 it appears to work to provide the best depth of field for any faces that are in the shot or whatever is the focal point. It will adjust gain, shutter speed and iris to do this. In telemacro it seems to do the opposite creating shallow depth of field. Most iris values appear to be in the f3.4 to f4 range for outdoor shoots.

Active Steadyshot is Electronic image stabilization on top of Optical so the image has to be cropped/scaled to allow for the border needed to stabilize the image. I don't see any degradation on the CX700 and the image is very stable. I don't use on my NX5U because all use of that is on a tripod with stabilization switched off.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders