NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin

UPDATE:

Sorry for the noob question here.. but i am currently messing around with the features on my camera and i noticed that i had "minus AGC" set to on.. would that be the cause for the noisy image?
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butir View Post
another question i have is why does the gain info not show up in play back when i have a picture profile on? but when i record something with picture profile off the gain is displayed? any thoughts? i also have AGC set to off
Per the NX5 Operating Guide, page 30..."When you record high definition image quality (HD) movies with the gain set to [-6db] and play them back with the data code, the gain value is displayed as [---]".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butir View Post
UPDATE:

Sorry for the noob question here.. but i am currently messing around with the features on my camera and i noticed that i had "minus AGC" set to on.. would that be the cause for the noisy image?
No, the "minus AGC" set to on will not cause your noisy image. I still believe that your noisy image stems from some combination of in-camera settings IMHO.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

when you mean in camera settings do you mean by my picture profiles? or main menu?
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Possibly a combination of both. I'm only speculating though as I can't physically see your camera or it's settings.

Are you seeing the grain or noise in the entire image or just the dark or black scenes?
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

what i will do later this evening is post all off the settings that i have on so that you have a better feel on how my camera is operating. but in the mean time, yes i am seeing the noise in the entire shot not just certain areas. even on a perfectly lit scene outside with -6db i am still looking at a noisy image. a question i should ask, when you play it back on full screen on your computer do u see a noisy image? but yet again when i plug it into my HDTV via HDMI a can still see some noise with even 0db of gain (that i can understand will show a little though)
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

When I play the raw files from the camera on a PC or HDTV from a properly lit scene with -6db or -3db I have absolutely no noise or grain...same goes for live preview when connected via HDMI. You are correct however, that 0db will show a very slight amount of noise...so slight that most, if not all of your clients will probably never notice.

I would definitely be interested in taking a peek into your camera settings to see if we can get this grain thing figured out.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Regular Crew

this is what i was able to come up with, i hope its enough info. i didnt include an PP because i get this problem without pp too.
Attached Thumbnails
NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5_menu_1.jpg   NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5u_menu_2.jpg  

NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5u_menu_3.jpg   NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5u_menu_4.jpg  

NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5u_menu_6.jpg   NX5U grainy picture possibly resolved with Plugin-nx5u_menu_7.jpg  

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Mike,

Thanks for posting the screen shots. Honestly, I'm at a loss for your noise issue. Perhaps someone with more knowledge might chime in. Your camera is setup very similar to mine and the slight differences between our setups aren't going to cause the grain you're seeing. I'm really scratching my head right now for ideas. As mentioned in my previous post, both of my NX5's (with virtually identical settings to yours) do indeed record a grain or noise free image with or without picture profiles and thats even before it's imported into an NLE. I wish I could provide more help but I am truely out of ideas. Keep us posted if you find a fix. Perhaps Sony might have something to say about it.
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I went to sony this evening with my camera and compared it side by side with the ax2000 (basically same camera). and also played back the footage on there best tv in the store. both of te cameras footage looked identical! i came to the conclusion along with the store manager that i am viewing my footage to closely and the further back o go from my monitor is the proper way to view my footage. basically what i see is the pixels that are making up the image that i see. when standing at the proper distance away from the tv you will get a very nice image like i did. for some reason i thought that the noise i see was coming from the camera which was not the case at all! coming to this realization is a huge relief for me! Thanks for your help throughout this whole process!
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I'm sure you will sleep better knowing that your beloved NX5 is working as it should.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders