Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old September 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later

I just picked up a sony NX5 after using a Canon xl2. I love the footage, and it seems to import fairly quickly. However, Im often on the road, with just an older Macbook Pro and dont want to take the time and energy to capture the files into FCP from the cards.

I have tried downloading the cards onto an external hard drive, and then importing/ L&T at a later date the get error messages.

I have 96GB of SD cards, but I never want to be on the road and not have the files backed up in multiple locations.

How are you transferring the files from the SD card to the HD and then into your NLE? I am completely lost!

Ive looked at every page under NXCAM forum and couldnt find anything. Please help,

Thanks

Dan
Dan Speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later

Transferring to a hard drive and then using L&T later should work fine IF you copy the entire card as is, and not just the video files. I'd suggest creating a folder on your hard drive for each card (Card1, Card2, etc) and copy the entire card and all folders/files to that folder. If that doesn't work then there's a glitch somewhere because it should work.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Tourist

Thank you Michael.

Do I need to use disk utility to do that. I tried copying everything that I could see when I put the card into the reader but that apparently wasn't enough.
Dan Speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If i want to clear a SD card I copy the (video files) and the (clip info) to an external HD when i am out then when i get home i transfer them back to their folders on the card (copy/paste) this works every time.
Andrew Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I use a 250gb Hyperdrive (B&H Photo) to backup all cards on the road, and if, and only if I must - I will format a card and resue it... But getting the complete contents of each card is key. Then when I get home I use the Sony CMU to move files form the Hyperdrive to my main computer (then to backup).
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Tourist

Thank you very much guys. I was copying the files not the entire card and having trouble with that. Thanks again
Dan Speicher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders