NX70 Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX70 Viewfinder

Before purchasing the NX70, I cross shopped against the Canon XA10. One of the key reasons why I went with the NX70 was the nice optical viewfinder. Since I shoot mostly outdoors a nice viewfinder is important. LCD displays are not ideal in bright sunshine. The viewfinder on the Canon XA10 is terrible. I might have gone with the Canon and saved at least $1000 bucks.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to activate both the LCD display and the optical viewfinder at the same time. This would come in handy when wanting to activate the menu options while looking through the viewfinder.

I haven't found a way yet, perhaps I just overlooked it?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric Kruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: NX70 Viewfinder

Hi Eric - I don't think there is. I've used it on several jobs and it's a little frustrating. The March 2012 firmware update will hopefully add this as an option?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks John,

You would think at least one of the product people would have thought it might be nice to allow users access to the menu while looking through the viewfinder?

I do hope firmware fixes this.
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony has for a while forgotten that having BOTH VF and LCD on at the same time is a handy feature...

Used to be you'd flip the LCD over (so it points forward, towards the "talent"), and the VF would come on - was handy for candid interview shots, but the "feature" got lost somewhere around the SR11, IIRC
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

New owner of the XA10 and I agree with you, the viewfinder stinks especially with the BP819 battery on. I'd use it more if I could jam my eye against it but it just snaps back in against the pressure. So yeah, it's pretty much useless. I would use it if the sun was just in a horrible place but I can't speculate on the quality of the resulting video.

A lot of the features are performed on the touch lcd screen (touch focus, focus peaking/levels, slide zoom, manual exposure) that it makes more sense to be looking at the lcd most of the time. That said I'd love a nice viewfinder with a good extension and comfortable eye cup. Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Trustee

This is one of the great things about the NX70, the battery is tucked away in its internal compartment. All my previous cameras have had the battery on the rear, under the viewfinder, and they could (a) get in the way or (b) get a knock and risk losing power. Yes, they did it for waterproofing, but it is just so neat.

I love the NX70 viewfinder, it is super-high res for a camera of this spec.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Major Player

mike,
can you manually wb on the nx70 like you can on the ex1r. theres a button on the front of cam for that. what about the nx70.
i almost bought the 70 as my backup but as has been said on here, the zoom control is horrible. i noticed this at nab when it was unveiled back in april.
is it actually going to be in the march firmware or is that just a rumor.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jim,

I am new to the camera but that is one question I think I can answer! You can manually adjust the white balance on the NX70, through the touch screen.

As for the zoom control firmware, I do hope it is fact and not rumour. I am counting on Sony coming through with this, if not I'll be quite let down with Sony.
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Sony Prime Support UK confirmed the firmware update to me, with an expected release date of March 2012. I'm sure it's coming, it's just the date may change.

And yep, Eric is right, the touchscreen is used to adjust WB. You can assign WB to one of the three custom "buttons" on the touchscreen for faster access.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The firmware confirmation is great news!
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kruis View Post
Before purchasing the NX70, I cross shopped against the Canon XA10. One of the key reasons why I went with the NX70 was the nice optical viewfinder. Since I shoot mostly outdoors a nice viewfinder is important. LCD displays are not ideal in bright sunshine. The viewfinder on the Canon XA10 is terrible. I might have gone with the Canon and saved at least $1000 bucks.
Really glad I saw this. I've been looking seriously at the XA10, but a decent viewfinder is essential for me as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders