DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Assign Button 6 - Visual Index (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/502196-assign-button-6-visual-index.html)

James Kuhn October 31st, 2011 10:06 PM

Assign Button 6 - Visual Index

I'm trying to decide if I can re-assign 'Button 6 - Visual Index'. How often do you folks use 'Visual Index'? The 'NX5' allows you to optionally access the 'Visual Index' through the 'key pad' under the LCD. I don't plan on using the 'edit' features of the camera, instead, I plan on performing all 'edits' on my NLE. While I might want to visually review my clips, I can't foresee a situation I couldn't take the time to access the 'Visual Index' through the 'key pad'. Am I making a mistake? Is there something a I'm not considering? I just don't think I'll be using the 'Visual Index' enough to justify taking up one of my 'assignable' buttons. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. I plan on assigning buttons 1 through 3 with the following: Assign Button # 1 - Peaking; Assign Button # 2 - Back Light; Assign Button # 3 - Hyper Gain. Buttons 4 through 7 will remain in their default configuration for the time being. I may re-consider 'Button # 3s Assignment', it depends on how often I use 'Hyper Gain'.

Any thoughts, opinions, or notional musings will be appreciated.

Regards,

J.

Victor Wilcox November 1st, 2011 01:57 PM

Re: Assign Button 6 - Visual Index

Mine's mapped to Peaking. The only time I use Visual Index is viewing using my remote.

No fear. If you don't like your changes you can alway restore. It takes a little time to work out what's best for you.

Good luck

Ron Evans November 1st, 2011 05:43 PM

Mine are set as
1 Steady shot
2 Peaking
3 Marker
4 Zebra
5 AE shift
6 Spotlight
7 Expanded Focus

Ron Evans

James Kuhn November 1st, 2011 07:20 PM

Victor/Ron...thanks for your thoughtful response.

Ron..I notice you don't have 'Hyper Gain' on your programmed 'Buttons'. Have you found you don't use it that much, or at all?

J.

Tom Hardwick November 3rd, 2011 08:34 AM

You've only got to turn on hyper-gain for 3 seconds to know it's a real last ditch resort button. And even then I'd avoid using that setting.

tom.

James Kuhn November 3rd, 2011 11:24 AM

Thanks Tom! I appreciate you insight, since I haven't taken delivery of my 'NX5', yet. I've 'downloaded' and printed every piece of information on the 'NX5' I could find, including the entire 'Owner's Manual'. Heh, heh! Yes, I admit it, I'm one of those.

Thanks from your 'cousin' in the colonies.

J.

Ron Evans November 3rd, 2011 11:49 AM

I don't use gain above 9 db if I can help it. Have gain limit in auto set at 9 db and set manual settings depending on what I am doing.

Ron Evans